Friday, May 11, 2007

I am a Knitter...

I consider myself a Knitter. (note the capital K - you'd have to be a reader of Stephanie to understand the significance of the capital K). knitters just knit. Knitters on the other hand, define at least a small part of their life by their knitting. In my house, you would be hard pressed to find a room that didn't have something of my knitting in it. Yes, even the bathrooms - where do YOU keep your Knitpicks catalogues?? In my son's room there are his sweaters, and some of his "craft projects" which all seem to have bits and pieces of yarn. There are WIPs here and there - Hubby was asking why there is a half finished mitre near the computer. Does he not know how long it takes some programmes to load? I can knock off a couple rows just checking email. I knit during get togethers with friends and family - they are used to it - some still think I'm odd, but, whatever. I knit during TV, and even at a movie - stockinette socks only, preferably in a light colour! I knit in the car when I am a passenger - cottage trips are 5 hours round trip - great use of time.

So explain to me what the hell this is...

and why am I enjoying it so much? (Except the counting. There is way more counting in crochet than knitting). And, to be honest, I'm not that enamoured of the fabric created by crochet. But, I'm still having fun!

I will still be defined in some way by my knitting. But you will have to forgive my forays to the dark side. I was always that kid that had to push the envelope, the one that had to be pulled back from the edge of the cliff.

(specs: Boteh scarf from Interweave Crochet, Spring 2007. Shelridge Farms Handpaint 100% merino - yummy stuff!. 4.5mm hook)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's turning out great! There is no Dark Side, fear not. When we support all the fibre arts, it is only all Good.

When crocheting, I prefer to stick to accessories. Knitting is a better choice for most garments. But all in all, the fibre you use is what ultimately makes both such a treat.

Way to go!

Unknown said...

I guess that makes me a KNITTER!!! LOL
I like how the scarf is turning out, especially with the variegated yarn; much more interesting than the brown one in IK. I don't hate crochet - it has value. I love crocheted doilies & hairpin lace is special crochet magic. I also really like crab stitch for an edging on a knitted garment.

Janis said...

It looks gorgeous! Like Lucky Canuck and Wannietta, I don't consider crochet the dark side. When I want to whip up a hat or a cute little nonsense thing, I turn to crochet.

Besides, I need all the help I can get using up my stash.

Cindy G said...

Wonderful edgings, marvellous medallions, nice sturdy bags that don't have to be lined to prevent stretching out, incredible potential for free form design...what's not to like about crochet (except that it uses time that could be spent on knitting)?