Wednesday, June 02, 2010

starting the search again...

...for a new job. Not by choice - the company I work for (and absolutely LOVE!) is being bought by a larger company that has no need for most of us. So I'm losing one of the best jobs I've ever had. When you talk about a family friendly place to work - this was it. The hours were perfect, the people were great, and they understood the concept of family first.

Not to mention the casualness of the place - Today I'm wearing denim Bermuda shorts, a linen blouse and my beloved flip flops. I just know that wherever I end up will require real footwear...
Then again, as I mentioned to Lucky, if I found a great job close to home with great hours and people, I'd wear a bloody ball gown to work every day!

So now, during summer, I have to go on the job hunt. We're looking at the trade off of me finding something right away, vs. spending the summer with the boy. Financial needs may take over, but we'll see. I'm still waiting to get the final say at the present job - how long (if at all) they need me during the transition - plus what kind of package there is. It's still up in the air while they iron out the final sale details, but we hope to find out soon.

Knitting is becoming not only my hobby but my stress reducer. I laugh at the people who say "Maybe you can make a living with knitting!" Right. I'm just a knitter. I know lots of people who have taken knitting and it's peripherals and made a living (Stephanie...) but she's a writer among so many other things. I just knit, and no one I know will pay the true worth of a hand knit sweater. If those people were out there, a lot of us would be making a living knitting for them!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That totally sucks - believe me, I know!
And making a living at knitting ... I haven't gotten that fortunate either, but good luck to you!! LOL

susanw said...

Oh Sandra, that is a big drag. To have to loose a good job and one close to home really sucks. I hope you find something soon and equally rewarding.

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

I'm so sorry - that sucks. I hope something wonderful comes your way.

Needles said...

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I wish for you, copious amounts of stress reduction and may a really wonderful job opportunity jump up and land in your lap in short order.

Anonymous said...

You never know what's around the bend.

Saren Johnson said...

Good luck. You'll find something. Plus the family will get some lovely items out of your stressful time.

Brendaknits said...

It is the sorry story of the last twenty years or so that so many of us have experienced your dilemma. It is not fun! I hope you get a great severance, the summer off and your dream job that starts right after Labour Day. One can dream, no?