Friday, August 01, 2008

heading north...

... for a week. Husband's brother and family will be there for the long weekend, and then they leave on Monday, leaving behind their 9 year old son. The two boys (ours and theirs) are cousins and best friends and so easy to look after. They spend the majority of the day in and around the water, so I end up doing the same. Great for reading, knitting or whatever.

It's a much needed week at the cottage, and I can't wait! We've planned some great meals, and a few jobs need doing, so hubby is happy (He's not one for sitting for too long). He's rebuilding a small deck, and doing some minor plumbing repairs. I plan on deep cleaning and lightly refinishing the dining table - it's getting sticky, and I hate that feeling. I was planning on recovering the chair seats - they are currently black vinyl, and you leave half your thigh skin behind when you get up too quickly in hot weather. However, I checked with my MIL, since it is their cottage. Turns out she likes the black vinyl (??) so I won't be changing it. It's still their place, after all.

I'm bringing some sock knitting (good for dock knitting), the lace shawl, and maybe the Kauni sweater to work out the math. The loom is also making the trip, with soem alpaca sock weight, and maybe some sea silk and tencel.

The library has been visited, and there is a stack of books awaiting their turn.

Ah, summertime...

4 comments:

Needles said...

Summertime and the living is easy...

I can hear Aaron nevilles version in the background. Have a good week off.

TracyKM said...

Oh...black vinyl....Growing up we had a teak dinette set with black naugahyde. My brother's girlfriend (now wife) is not too sharp. We had her convinced for a LONG time that there are little animals called Nauga(s) that are farmed for their hides!
Enjoy your week 'off'!

Sel and Poivre said...

Books, Knitting, Weaving, Good Food,a furniture refinishing project and your family - all lakeside! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Whistling Otis Redding: "Sitting on the deck of the bay..."