Thursday, August 28, 2008

done!

One authentic Icelandic shawl. Authentic pattern (thankfully translated from the original Icelandic to English). Authentic yarn, direct from Iceland.

Like any unblocked lace, it looks like crap. But man! add a little water, some Eucalan, some time (about 30 minutes soak time), and a whole lotta pins, a couple of sore knees*, and magic.I love what blocking lace does.

Pattern - Hyrna Herborgar from Three Cornered and Long Shawls - original book in Icelandic, English translation provided.

3 balls of Istex Icelandic laceweight in the natural colour. The shawl calls for two balls and it can be done with two, if you stick to the required needle size, but no, I had to be difficult and go up 1mm in size, which caused me to run out of the second ball with three rows and the crochet cast off left to do. You've already heard the story of how Tove got me the extra ball, and voila! a shawl, with all the softness of a dish scrubbie. Seriously, there is not enough soaking time in the world that will soften this stuff. There's no way this can be worn against bare skin - this is for over a turtleneck in the winter! But I love it. While it was blocking, I would sit there and look at it, amazed as always that the combination of knits of purls and some yarn overs can make something so beautiful. I think I'd do this pattern again, in a softer yarn.

*sore knees indeed! I had knee surgery abut 14 years ago, and at that time was told that I would need more work done in about 5 years time. I stretched that out and gained an extra 9 years, but it's catching up to me. I'm schedule for an MRI, and will probably get that in about 2 months, them off to the ortho cutter. A new one, because my old one retired, and I don't want to go down to Mississauga again, when I can get it done close to home. Fingers are crossed that they can do it arthroscopically again, but it sounds more like there's some cutting involved. Let's hope not.

10 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

It turned out beautifully. There really is an amazing difference before and after it's blocked. I'm sorry about your sore knees.

CatBookMom said...

That is stunning! The story about the 3rd skein is a great one. "softness of a dish scrubbie" is a great description, and it's good that you live where turtlenecks are required, lol!

I'm sorry that you've got serious surgery in your future, and I hope that it will go as smoothly as possible. Good thoughts on the way!

deirdre said...

It's just gorgeous - the magic of blocking lace never ceases to amaze, does it?

Hope you can get by without knee surgery - anything knee-related makes me all squishy inside, I can only imagine how you feel about it...

Saren Johnson said...

I love that pattern. I will need to get it one day!

Your shawl looks amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the diagnosis of the
knee fixerupper.
I had total knee replacement surgery in April. I was surprised, after living through the last 4 months, what I hadn't heard in all the research about it, how long it's taking to recuperate, but I think in the long run (note the pun-- better say long walk, I'll never run again, or kneel for that matter)I'll be better off. But the recuperation takes way longer than I expected. I wish you well, and if you want to discuss it further, let me know. I have heard much about the "Oxford" knee replacement which is, I believe, a partial knee joint, done in Scarborough which is not far from you. It has a short recuperation, is done in day outpatient, and not nearly as invasive. You may want to check it out. Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario

Anonymous said...

Your shawl is spectacular and even more so for the forced wait and the story behind acquiring the extra ball of yarn. Makes it even more precious and gorgeous as an heirloom piece.

Carol said...

What an amazing shawl! It's all the better for the anticipation of the final finish cliff-hanger.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous shawl! And best of luck with that knee.

Sel and Poivre said...

Gasp! The shawl is too amazing! It looks like the wings of an angel!Did I mention "Gasp!"? I cannot conceive of how anyone could knit that! Such a beautiful job!

Acorn to Oak said...

Wow! Beautiful!!!

The difference that blocking makes is amazing! It totally transforms it.