Thursday, August 14, 2008

boring.

yep, that's my life this week - boring. Going to work, trying to clean up the stuff that sat around on my desk for a week while I was away. Coming home, trying to clean up the stuff that sat around my house for a week while I was away. At least at work, there were people to take up some of the slack. At home? not so much. Looks like I need to get into a re-training program with Husband and Son to reteach them that if they want things done, they have to start doing it themselves.
I apologize to any male readers I may have, but I truly think that there's some sort of genetic defect in males that makes them unable to understand what "equal division of labour at home" is. Seriously, how many times can a man walk past a dishwasher full of clean dishes, and instead of emptying it, simply puts his dish on top of the counter? All this while I am trying to make dinner, find some needed artifact that my son needed for camp the next day, and talk to my Mom on the phone. Welcome to Tuesday night in the Curlerchik household. (yes, he finally emptied the dishwasher - I can drop enough hints that eventually one seeps into the brain - actually I think I point blank TOLD him to empty it).
I've tried to sneak in some knitting - the second Alpaca sock is coming along nicely, and the Kauni continues to enchant me. I think we are headed back north this weekend - a good friend's birthday will be celebrated, and the weather looks to be adequate. That should mean some more good knitting time. I haven't re-warped the loom, so no weaving will be accomplished, but that will come soon enough. So tonight will be more of the same, with some laundry thrown into the mix, as well as gathering what we need in order to leave for the cottage tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Telling a man what you want him to do is not rude, it is practical and avoids all kinds of related difficulties. They do not get hints. So if you want something done, just tell him. Something I learned in 40 years of marriage, and made it work for us.
Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario

Sel and Poivre said...

I'm with you on the boredom thing - that feeling is the worst when there's a mountain of boring stuff no one else will touch without a battle. I'm with Marlyce re: men but my big question is how do I/can I raise my son to be a different?

Needles said...

I raised my sons to be different, but in the end they turned out the same. They turned into men. (Which is great, except for the entire allergic to housework thing)

It is really my greatest failing.

Carol said...

Men think strangely. One woman has a hubby that does laundry. And folds it. and puts it away. BUT...if she puts laundry that needs to be done at the top of the basement stairs to go down to be done, he steps around it. One night after the umpteenth time he was stepping over it, she stopped him and said, what are you doing??? He was all,"What???" He truly didn't think to bring it downstairs.

Anonymous said...

My guy is pretty good, though I do have to leave him detailed notes for jobs. He'll do the task, and for some reason, he'll leave the paper note where it is. Sometimes I write on the note: 1) Please mow lawn. 2) Throw out this note after reading it.

Philosophical Karen said...

Ah, so nice to read about another household with mom, husband, and son. I borrow a term from Douglas Adams: everything has an SEP field around it. The SEP field makes things magically disappear. SEP stands for "Somebody Else's Problem". Guess who the somebody always is?