Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I love August in Aurora

Last night, the York Region Knitting Guild hosted another successful night with Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee. Stephanie and Rachel H arrived around 5:30, and we enjoyed a massively delicious dinner - Susan, the butter tarts were to die for, Helga, I need to get that wild rice salad recipe, and everything else was just outstanding. But the food paled in comparison to the company. Knitters sitting around a table, telling stories, knitting, comparing patterns and yarns, asking about colourways. It just doesn't get any better. Unless of course you ask my son - he arrived home, saw "The Knitters" in the kitchen, and beelined for the living room, counting down the minutes until husband arrived to whisk him away for a guys night out. I called and gave them the all clear once we were on our way to Needles and Knits, and I'm sure they happily reclaimed our house!
Once at the shop, Stephanie talked. It's a different dynamic talking to 40 people than it is talking to 400. Steph would read an excerpt from her book, and then the discussion started - comments came from all parts of the room, and it was great. I love that kind of back and forth action, and I hope all that attended felt the same way. After talking, we headed down to the store for a little stash enhancement, and more chatting.
Back to my place for coffee and surprisingly enough, more talking, then Rachel and Stephanie headed back to Toronto, and I headed to bed.
I could go into details about what was talked about, and people's input and feelings, but really, this is something you need to experience. Join a Guild. Go to a Knit Night. Find our people, and knit with them. There's nothing like hearing people express what you have always felt, or perhaps given you something new to think about, or as was for most of last night, having a ton of laughs.
Stephanie, Rachel - thanks for coming. The welcome mat will be out again next year.

Oh, and Steph's Manon sweater? Even more freakingly beautiful in real life. Seriously, I have to knit this sweater...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was lots of fun! Thanks for having me along once again.

I think special mention should go to the store's cute pussycat who tore around the meeting room during the whole talk and had a great time socializing.

deirdre said...

I am totally envious - sounds like a perfect evening!

Anonymous said...

It WAS a great time.

Needles said...

Sounds like a wonderful event. I don't know about your LYS, but the books for these sweaters (Flow and Manon) are almost walking out of the shop on their own. We had our first order of 5 in for 2 whole days, and the second? I don't think it even made it 2 days. Barely 1 IIRC. We are getting more.

Needles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Another great evening with Stephanie. Thanks for organizing.