Monday, August 18, 2008

continually pleased

Back from another weekend at the cottage, and it was marvellous - Had a wonderful dinner with friends, the sun shone for the majority of the time, we swam, we relaxed, I knit, we had a great time.

Socks were ignored - the Kauni continues to enchant. I took it off the needles onto a thread to check the fit - I'm kind of designing this on the fly, so fitting often is necessary. So far, so good - the sleeve split seems to be at the right spot, the width seems good (this can always be adjusted by the width of the front bands once I get to them. The thing that surprises me - this will be my first steeked garment. In all my years of knitting, I've never cut a steek, not even a practice one. I know I should be freaking out about this, but I'm not. Of course, I'm also about 14 inches away from actually having to cut the steek, so I'll get back to you on the freak out factor. I got quite a bit knit on this this weekend, more than I usually would for one very good reason. My MP3 player, and my Sister-In-Law, Niece and Nephew.
My husband's sister and her kids were at the cottage this weekend. Normally, it's his brother's family that we share the place with, but this weekend his sister made her annual jaunt. Let's just say it's a totally different dynamic when they are there. Her son is a year older than ours, but whereas my son and his other cousin are two peas in a pod, these two? not so much. My kid would rather swim and be outside, while this nephew just wants to play video games. All day. All night. Now, I don't mind the games. Hell, I used to work for Sega, so I have nothing against video games. At the right time. In the morning, before everyone is awake - fine. Middle of the day at the cottage when the sun is shining and the lake is calling? wrong time. And the bedtime thing! They don't seem to have one. Usually, the kids are in bed by 10pm - the adults get a little time without them. Midnight, and her kids are still up and talking (non- stop. Seriously, the two of them NEVER. SHUT. UP.) Then they sleep till 11am, and wonder where everyone is when they roll out of bed. (Answer? by the lake, playing outside.) Totally different dynamic. Even my husband (whose sister it is), says he doesn't want to do that again... So I sat by the lake, MP3 player going, ear buds firmly in place, the 14 year old niece's constant questions about the 14 year old hottie next door (who COMPLETELY ignored her...) blocked out, and knit about 4 inches on the body. I did answer some of my niece's questions - will I make her a sweater just like this? No. Will I make her a beaded necklace like the one I gave our neighbour for her birthday? No. (actually, I will, but for Christmas, when she isn't begging for it.) I told her I would teach her to knit, so she can make her own sweaters, and got this in return: "Why? you already knit, and my parents are rich enough to buy me what I want."

Family. Can't live with 'em, can't kill them and get away with it.

6 comments:

Needles said...

Ditto. Knitting is going to save my family reputation. On one side, I knit and no one expects me to talk, no one is interested enough in what I am doing to ask and I choose not to volunteer. Very good things.

I may have to re-consider the ipod though.

The Kauni is looking really really good. Can't wait to see how the steeks go.

Saren Johnson said...

Like how Kauni is turning out. I may have to break down and knit one.

Philosophical Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Philosophical Karen said...

Rules for bedtime and video games are up to the parents. Kids should have them, and abide by them. It makes life easier for both the parents and the kids.

Oh, and those who cohabit with them. ;-)

Loving the kauni!

Carol said...

'You know how to knit and my parent's are rich enough to buy me what I want"!!!??? OMG WTF??? On the other hand, when the kids are 28 and still live in the house and don't work, will mom and dad still buy them whatever they want? the karmic wheel DOES turn....

Anonymous said...

The Kauni is gorgeous. The kid's words are mind-blogging (heh). But then I remembered her age and thought how at that stage they will push you every way they can to see what they can get away with.

It's your family, but I'm thinking that might be one child better served by not being knit for, she having said such a thing. I'm thinking too of a friend in DC whose 13-year-old niece said she wanted money from her rich single lawyer uncles for Christmas. She got it: they went to the US Mint, bought a bag of shredded old paper bills, and stuffed a hamster ball with them for her.