Wednesday, April 04, 2007

which explains our laid back attitude towards today...

You Are A Realist

When it comes to romance, you tend to take a realistic approach.
You believe that love takes time, and it's something you have to work hard for.
A bit cynical, over the top romance tends to get under your skin.
Your heart is difficult to win ... but it's totally worth it.


15 years ago, I married a man I loved. And I love him more today. We are parents, and we are friends. (we are a lot more than that, but you all don't need to know about it...)

We had the church wedding (much to my mother's and my MIL combined relief), and it was fun. The reception part was more fun. We didn't partake of a lot of the "traditional wedding things". we had good friends and a good party. The whitish toned dress was a bonus. (I look crappy in pure white). My Dad was there for me, and he was the one who said "as much as I'd like to lift your veil to give you a kiss, I think the whole veil thing is antiquated. Plus, I'll be standing too close if anything DOES happen." (Folklore has it that the TRUE symbol of a girl's purity is not so much the white dress, but the veil across her face. Dad lifting it is sort of the "permission" to the groom to have at it.) I think Dad was worried about the potential for a lightning strike... My Dad was pretty cool - after all, Hubby and I had been cohabitating for while by that time.

Our lifestyle is such that we don't do anything special on this day. I'm pretty much of the mindset that the wedding was fun, but the marriage is what's important, and a marriage is based on day to day respect and commitment. We'll probably take an extra nice bottle of wine north with us on the weekend to toast with over the turkey, but that's it.

Oh, and we'll buy each other lottery tickets. Nothing says Happy Anniversary like 38 million dollars...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! And 38 mil would buy a lot of nice yarn!

Bon weekend up north.

Unknown said...

I'm a total romantic - but I didn't really need the test to tell me that!

Happy Anniversary - and if I don't win the 38 million I'd be happy if you did!!

TracyKM said...

LOL about the lottery tickets! I usually get a box of chocolates from a shop in town. I think I'd rather having a lottery ticket :)
have a great weekend, in the snow!

katrynka said...

Happy anniversary! We are not much in the celebrating department either. I do like a card tho!

CatBookMom said...

My bad. I meant to comment yesterday, and then forgot. It's a big milestone. DH and I celebrated our 15th back in December, and with as little ceremony; neither of us could think of anything special we really wanted to do, lol!

Congratulations to you both and may you have many more days and weeks and months and years together in happiness, commitment, and health.