Friday, April 20, 2007

hospital knitting

First off - Mom is great. She came through the surgery with flying colours (what colours are those that fly, anyway?), and may be getting out today(!) or this weekend. The surgeon came out after the surgery and gave me the thumbs up and said he was very pleased with the results. Once she got into ICU, I was allowed to see her and talk to her. How do I know she's OK? She asked for a glass of wine. Or a martini. Yup, that's my Mom!
We got to the hospital around 6am, and she went in around 7:30. SO I had from 7:30 to about 11:30am to do nothing but knit, read, and drink Tim Horton's coffee. (Did you know that the hospital volunteers OWN the Tim's franchise in the hospital? Brilliant. We get great coffee, they get money.)

Added Note - I wrote the above part last night. This morning I get a call as I'm driving to work - "They're sending me home! When can you come and get me?"

Ummm, not right away. Luckily, my SIL was going to see Mom this morning - I called her, and she will take Mom home, and stay until I can get there around noon. Life is good.


How much knitting can I get done (while also reading a book) in a hospital waiting room?
This much:
(Geez, I love natural outdoor light for pictures...)
The sweater for my son was already done almost up to the stripes, so I didn't do ALL of this... The scarf is the Leaf Cravat by Teva Durham - from Interweave Knits, Winter 2003/2004, I think. Great pattern - easy, lacy, and one 200m or so skein will do it. This is Knitpicks Gloss - 70% merino, 30% silk, and the colour (on my monitor) is pretty true.
I'll be spending the afternoon, evening and night at Moms, so there should be a substantial increase in knitting production. Since I turned Mom onto sock knitting, she's pretty happy to sit and watch TV and knit. Although, with the weather they are calling for, we may be sitting on the patio and knitting!
Now I have to go and email Hubby the schedule he needs for my one night away - Son has swimming tonight, basketball tomorrow morning, and a birthday party tomorrow night for which a present and card are needed... Hubby's going to love this...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that your mom is well & coming home!

The men don't realize how much we do until they have to cover for us! And it's not so much that it's big things , but it's so many little things!!

TracyKM said...

Enjoy your night 'off' :) Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady. Glad she's doing so well.

Molly said...

I'm happy for all of you that your mom's surgery went well and that she came home so quickly. I hope her pain medication doesn't interfere with her indulging in some of the liquid kind.

Janis said...

I'm glad your mom is doing well! That's very good to hear.

I love that the hospital volunteers own the Timmy's! That's so great for them, and so great to hear that Tim Horton's would be so willingly involved with that, it reflects so well on them.

The cravat looks gorgeous, I love Teva's designs, but I wish her sweaters came in more than two or three sizes. S/M, L/XL isn't enough.