Monday, April 30, 2007

the good, the bad, and the ugly...

I'll start with the good - the Knitter's Frolic on Saturday. I got there early, scored primo parking, met up with LuckyCanuck, and we hit all the vendors before it got stupid crowded. (Pictures of my score to come). My goal was to find the unique, the stuff I don't have, or stuff at such a great price, it would be asinine to turn it down. Lucky's was to find black laceweight for a special project, and to learn the Turkish Toe cast on from me.
Missions accomplished on all fronts! We were so early, that I gave Lucky a Turkish Toe Tutorial in my car before they would let us in. I found Lorna's Laces, Claudia Handpaint yarn (nothing special to those of you in the States, but remarkably rare in my neck of the woods...). I got cashmere sock yarn. Cashmere. Sock. Yarn. Not going to be socks, mind you! I scored some Twilleys Denim - a big bag for $25 at Goodbuyyarn.com - a clearout place. It was the only score there - usually they have a ton of good stuff, but they seemed a little heavy on the novelty stuff this time around.
Lucky was looking for black laceweight - we saw Zephyr (her first choice) at a number of places, but no black. Our last stop was Needles Arts bookshop - a treasure trove for Fiddlesticks stuff - she spied some dark yarn in a basket on the floor - "oh, it's navy" she says. We gt closer - no, it's, it's EBONY ZEPHYR! Could not have planned that any better. She grabbed two of the 5-6 balls that were there, and when we went by about 20 minutes later, the black was GONE! Good score!
OF course, the major good was meeting up with Amy Singer, whilst I was wearing my Tuscany shawl. Yes, there is a picture of her and I together - it's coming, probably tomorrow. How cool is it to have a picture of a shawl you've knit, together with the designer of said shawl. By the way, that shawl got me manhandled a lot (in a good way)!
THE BAD:
We left early - to be honest, I was feeling somewhat unsettled, and even skipped our planned lunch at Memories of Japan. Also, I had a family thing later that day, and it was a very good thing that I was available early - suffice it to say, I was sorely needed early. So the bad is that Stephanie and I missed meeting up as we had planned. Damn. Also, I missed picking up the raffle prize that I had won (didn't find out until I checked my email on Sunday). Double Damn. Now I have to figure out a way of getting it from the DKC.
THE UGLY:
That unsettled feeling? Hit me full force in the middle of Saturday night, and I was SICK. And the ugliness continues - I get to work this morning and there is a message to call my husband at home. This can't be good. I call and find out that Son is now sick. Hubby can stay home for a little while, but he has a meeting this afternoon - can I come home. Well, of course I can - this is my child we are talking about! I'm just waiting for my boss to arrive so I can over a few things with him, then I'm out of here.

Keeping with the movie theme (if you're a Clint fan), tomorrow is another day (for the Gable / Leigh fans...) - Fiona Ellis is coming to our Guild! I get to pick her up at her home, and keep her captive, erm, I mean drive her to dinner and the Guild meeting. I can't wait - Fiona is a lovely person, and we talk non-stop all the way from her home up to Aurora. News of the meeting on Wednesday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you had fun while you were there - sorry that we didn't meet up and even sorrier for your illness!
Take care and have fun with Fiona.