Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I think I'm in love...

Mitred squares. Love these things. Quick, easy to do with a modicum of concentration.

There's no real reason for these squares, except to prove something. I'd seen this particular yarn knit up int these squares over at Mason Dixon Knitting. And I remembered seeing this yarn (Katia Jamaica) at my LYS, Needles and Knits. It has very long non repeating colour changes, and there really wasn't any pattern that it seemed to suit. When I was there on the weekend (picking up 2 sets of needles that cost me over $100**), I decided to try some in the mitred squares that I had seen Kay make. Each one takes around an hour, depending on how distracted you are during that time.

Well. I'm in love.


I figure to get 4 or 5 squares from a ball, and now I need to find some solid blue, green and/or turquoise. I feel a blanket or something in my future... And god knows, I needed another project to cast on...


**No, Tove does not charge exorbitant amounts for her needles. I went in for two short 3mm circs to do a turkish toe cast on for some heavier cotton socks. Tove showed me the new Sheldridge Farms handpainted fingering weight. Somehow, 6 skeins found their way into my life. (And some new magazines. and maybe some other stuff - I can't remember...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't those mitres the best? Makes me want to get back to my second mitred mitten soon.

TracyKM said...

Considering you have such a hard time making mitten #2, I'm surprised that you'd like mitered squares, LOL.
Your LYS has everything, doesn't it! Not fair. I see them in the Creative Needlework brochure I just got for the April show--some demonstrating knitting machines...would that be just the LK150, or does she have others too? (Like I have room or money or time).
Just wait till Buffy gets her laceweight yarn ready to sell! I wonder if she's doing handpainted in it too? Evil.

Janis said...

I love the colours of the squares!

And last time I went to Needles & Knits it was for bobbins, which cost about a dollar. And forty dollars later, I had a more Drops Alpaca that I don't need. But the colours!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah!?
it happens to us all the time.
temporary amnesia...(like how did this yarn get here?) rather nice side effects though.(lovely yarn)