Wednesday, February 14, 2007

notes on the gauntlets / fingerless mitts / wristers...

First off - thanks for the nice comments on the gauntlets / fingerless mitts / wristers - There's nothing better for a knitter's ego than praise from her peers... Some quick notes: It seems I have fat hands. OK. maybe just WIDE hands. The saxon braid has pulled towards the thumb and is not nicely centred on the back of my hand. No big whup, but next time I would move it over by one rib. The thumb cast off rolls a bit. I used the "knit 2 together, slip stitch back onto left needle, repeat" bind off. While I love this bind off, I probably should have done a row or two in ribbing to stop the roll. It's not much, but it does roll a touch. LuckyCanuck asked if I was wearing them today - Damn right! and not just outside. For whatever reason, my new section of the office is about 10 degrees colder than my former area. It's noticeable enough that 4 of us in this specific area are way more bundled up than we should be inside. I've got my gauntlets on, my Argosy scarf wrapped around my neck, and my leather jacket over my shoulders. While I'm getting tons of compliments on my knitwear, I'd really rather not HAVE to wear it inside. But, the gauntlets are performing beautifully I am typing this with them on! I've already had 3 people ask for a pair. Nope. sorry. I don't knit on commission. CatBookMom was asking about the paired long tail cast on. Now ou have to understand - I had never done a long tail cast on before - I was a cable cast on chik. So the paired long tail is described a couple of ways - Elizabeth calls it the "Your Way, My Way", but since I didn't have a "My Way" that didn't work for me. I call it the "Inside Outside" Basically, when yo udo a long tail, on the "Inside" part, your thumb goes on the inside of the yarn triangle. For hte "Outside" , you wrap your thumb around the outside of hte yarn. It's easier to do than to explain, so all I can recommend is that you take Elizabeth's class when you can. I know she's teaching at Stitches West this year - look for Elizabeth Fallone. And believe it or not - I've started another pair. I;m using a locally obtained wool - mohair blend sock yarn from Lindenhof - LuckyCanuck was with me when I bought it a the Kitchener Knitters Fair. I was going to make socks, but really, my sock yarn stash is large enough that I can scoop from there without any noticeable dent. Plus, the lindenhof knits up nicely on 3mm needles, which makes it perfect for these. Instead of the full rib, I will probably just do a couple of inches of it, then stockinette, and I'm thinking of a few columns of cables or a WIDE cable all the way up the back. I may have broken my mitten curse...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, the Lindenhof - I like that stuff. Next time I see it, I'm buying a couple more balls. It will make for smashing mitts!