Thursday, February 22, 2007

two done - two gone...

I had a little extra time to knit yesterday - Young son was home sick. He's OK, Dad stayed with him in the morning and took him to the doctor - small chest congestion and infection - on the Zithromax for 5 days, and hopefully, we're good. So I came to work, gathered up some stuff to work on at home and was home by noon. Finished up the work I brought home by 1pm, (the nice thing about no one knowing exactly what I do or how I do it, is no one knows how long it actually takes me to do things!). Spent the rest of the afternoon with Son on the couch, watching movies and knitting.

The ruffly red scarf is done for my friend's charity auction - Ovation from S.R. Kertzer - 75% kid mohair, 25% silk - a dead ringer for Kid Silk Haze at half the price! I started with around 60 stitches on an 8mm circular, then doubled that to 160, knit a few rows, doubled it again, knit a few rows, did a knit one, knit into f and b of next stitch row, knit a few rows, the a knit 2, knit into f and b of next stitch row, knit a few rows, then cast off. Or something like that. Basically, start with a base row then keep increasing and knitting. The more stitches you add, the rufflier it is. This one is VERY ruffly. I wanted it lush, since people will be bidding on it.

And yes, that is another pair of fingerless mitts completed! They need a wet blocking to bloom the yarn, then off to my sitter. But I may have to take them back for my next Guild meeting to prove to the ladies that I can actually finish a pair of mitts! (There was some good natured ribbing at the last meeting!)

And the frogging has also commenced:

Yep, the silk eyelash shawl has gone, as well as the leaf lace shawl. I will make the leaf lace shawl, as it's a great pattern, just not in a severely variegated yarn. He silk eyelash will become something - I'm just waiting for the right pattern. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

And for those following the soap opera "As the Work Turns"... One of the new hires is already gone. Something happened yesterday while I was at home. Attitudes are a little glum around here, so I have to do some digging and find out some details. One of the long time, most loyal employees is starting to feel as I do. She and I had a conversation this morning, and I've never heard her so down. A sign of things to come??

And then there was my drive in this morning - On a morning when I had half a mind to stay home and keep Son home (He really wanted to be at school today - it was Beach Day, and he really was feeling (and looking) better), this is what I faced on my drive.
CatBookMom is always after autumn leaf changing shots, so I thought I'd share the whole gamut of weather in the Toronto area! For those that don't know, CBM lives in Burbank, CA. She says she's coming to visit, but only in the summer. I wonder why that is??

The truck above is the dick that passed me on the right shoulder to get in front of me. It's not like he was going anywhere - there were about 200 cars in front of him, single file, doing 30km. But, he has a big truck, so I guess that makes him better than the rest of us! I swear, if my husband ever did that in his SUV and I saw him, I'd smack him upside the head!

2 comments:

TracyKM said...

My husband won't pass on the shoulder, but he definately has a double standard. He used to drive a pick up, and my Geo Metro. When driving the pick up, he'd block little guys from merging in front of him. But when he was in the little car (or the little SUV we got next when I rolled the little car), he'd get really mad and aggressive if someone wouldn't let him merge in!
If you see someone coming up on the shoulder, you can always 'drift' over a little...

CatBookMom said...

Oh, those photos of a slippery, snowy and somewhat scary commute! Gives me the shivers just seeing the rear view of that brainless dude with his macho truck. Did that for 10+ years in Denver, survived several accidents major and minor caused by other drivers or me trying to avoid them, and had 2 cars totalled. Then 4WDs arrived and those idiots thought it made them slide-proof, so I packed it up for a snow-free zone.

OTOH, how did I know that LA drivers panic at a little rain?