Wednesday, February 07, 2007

comment comments...

I've been a little lax in answering some questions from the comments - bad me. If you take the time to comment, the least I can do is take the time to answer you if I can. Note that I will not be taking time from my knitting time - I guess something else will have to suffer...

J. Layne from Aurora - thanks for delurking! And if you're in Aurora, I hope you'll consider checking out the York Region Knitting Guild. We meet the first Tuesday of each month at Needles and Knits on Yonge Street in Aurora. (Yeah, that would have been yesterday, sorry about that...) But our March meeting should be great - Amy Singer, editor of Knitty is coming! Either drop by the shop (Needles and Knits) or email me at curlerchikATyahooDOTca for more information on the Guild - who we are and what we do. We love new members.

CatBookMom wanted to know what answers I gave to become Aragorn in the "Which Sci-Fi Character are you". I wish I could remember. I tried it again, and I too was Captain James T. Kirk. I'm sticking with Aragorn - as much as I love Star Trek, Kirk was not my fave. GIve me Picard any time... CBM is also good for the ego - " you are being SUCH an inspiration!" is a direct quote. Geez, it's enough to make a chik blush... Thanks CBM. She's going to make an Argosy, using the same Mille Colori I used for my Moebuis - great choice - I'll bet it's luscious! As far as the Moebuis pattern - I hadn't really thought about it, but yeah, I guess I can write it up. Give me some time...

Mary Tess was curious about how you would replace a provisional cast on with an e-wrap cast on. Simple. Istead of the crochet chain provisional, simply e-wrap. For example, I use a provisional for toe up socks. Now, instead of fiddling with the crochet chain, I would simply e-wrap the number of stitches I need, and knit my toe. Then, where I would normally pick up the provisional stitches, and unzip the chain, I would just slip me needle through the e-wraps. As was explained to us, an e-wrap has no "gender". It is neither a knit nor a purl, so you can pick them up as you need them. One proviso - the picked up stitches will be offset by half a stitch. If this bothers you, well this may not be the technique for you. I can just put them on the bottom of the sock where no one sees them, and voila! no need for a provisional! There are many other uses for this as well, but I'll let you take Elizabeth's class to learn them all...

Lucky Canuck asked somethings about the Argosy scarf - 2 full balls of Noro Silk Garden made a scarf about 6 feet long and around 6 inches wide, after blocking. A great stash buster. Plus, One ball would make a really nice little neck warmer scarf...

My thanks to the ladies of the York Region Knitting Guild - they all had such nice things to say about the scarf. We did a little workshop on the Moebius cast on as well - I expect to see all kinds of Moebuis's (Moebuii??) next month!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Ah, I have been enlightened. I love to use the provisional cast on but don't like using the crochet method. I'll give the e-wrap a try next time. Thank you for the explanation.