Tuesday, February 20, 2007

frog or finish??

OK, so last night, I go around the house, gathering up UFOs. I'm pretty sure I got them all, and this does not count the ziplocs of yarn and needles set up for projects just waiting to be cast on. These are the ones here a commitment has been made. Stitches have been formed. Time (such a precious commodity) has been spent. SO now it's time to decide. Sh*t or get off the pot, as they say.

First group:

From the top right...

A grey cotton sweater for Hubby. Pieces done on the machine (LK-150) back when I first got it. Cotton coned yarn from Camilla Valley Farms - grey body and dark green Fibonacci stripes. All I have to do is hand knit the bottom ribbing and the cuff ribbing. This is a definite finish, and to be honest, should have been done months ago. I just have to get going on it, but I hate ribbing.

Wellington Fibres Alpine Mitt. This baby has been seen before - I will finish it, but it's not a high priority.

Marina Sweater - design from Knit Picks. I love this design - You knit the sleeves across from cuff to cuff, with an cable up the middle that splits for the neck, then knit the body in the round down. I will probably finish this - I do like it, but Christmas knitting got in the way. The sleeves will be this camel colour, and the body is planned to be a dark oregano green.

Silk Eyelash Shawl. Welcome to the first frog item! I love this yarn - it's silk eyelash by Handmaiden. I've had it forever, and nothing seems right. It's very light - very, very light. I calls for a shawl or a scarf, but nothing to textured or lacy, because the tiny eyelash yarn will obscure anything but the most basic. I will frog (and regain some Addi needles...) and wait for inspiration.

Yarns Plus Silk Noile in Flame colourway. This is a Machine Knit experiment. I'm knitting wedges on the machine using this delicious silk. Then I will probably sew them together, but I'm not sure if I will just mattress stitch them all, or if I will sew them to some silk ribbon or something. Not yet a frog project, but again, not a high priority.

Second Group:

again, starting at the top right and working clockwise...

Red ruffly scarf - definitely a finisher. This is for a charity auction for a friend of mine. I gave her a similar scarf in bright pink, and all the women at her golf club went ape over it, so she asked me to make one for their auction. The money is going to Breast Cancer research, so of course I said yes. I should have this baby done this week.

Green Leaf Lace Shawl. I'm not feeling the love. I love the pattern, but the variegated Knit Picks yarn is TOO variegated for me for this pattern. It's been sitting forever, and will be frogged. Probably tonight. Hey! a 4mm bamboo circular freed up! Yay!

Pink Hemp Angel. Again, not really feeling the love, but all I have left is the skirt, so I will finish it. But the hemp is not great for this - too stringy. I know, cotton is stringy as well, but this hemp is STRINGY! Once it's put together and starched and all, I'll probably fall in love and make another. (Yeah, right!)

Lindenhof fingerless mitts. My current project - still loving it and will finish this week.

Fiddlesticks Whisper Scarf in Ivory Zephyr. Again, a low priority finisher. This will make a nice Christmas gift for Christmas one year. The Fiddlesticks patterns are beautifully charted and very easy to do - a definite recommendation for someone wanting to start with lace.

Green Alpaca Moebuis - not sure here. Probably a frog. I love the Moebuis pattern, and I love this yarn, but I don't think they go together. I'm using a 2.25mm needle and it's fingering weight. I may save this yarn for something out of the Arctic Lace Book instead. So... FROG!

Socks that Rock Metamorphosis colourway socks - Just need a couple more inches of leg and the picot hem and these babies are MINE!

Fish Hat - another finisher. This will be a good back up hat for my son for when his alien hat is soaked. He loves this pattern (as do I - love that hemmed edge!), so it's a keeper.

One last project:

Poor little forgotten stripy sock - I'll finish her and put her in the Christmas box. Someone will love her!

So that's it. As I said, this doesn't even touch on the "I really want to start" projects - The Handmaiden Sea Silk, The New Zealand 12 ply, the brown cotton for a Soleil tank, and so on...

But I will gain a few needles back, and wind up some yarn to put away. Maybe I'll even finish a few of these before starting something new...

(And for those that remember another lonely mitten - yes, there is the green and yellow thrummed mitt still out there. I found the yarn and the roving for the thrums. I can't find the finished mitt. How bad is that?)


4 comments:

CatBookMom said...

Your UFOs are prettier than my UFOs. You win! And your UFO socks have ratcheted up the level at which my UFO socks are crying to be brought back into the light so they can become FOs. I can hear them; their voices are louder: "Knit me!" "No, knit me!" "No, me! I was here first!" "I'm closer to being a FO; choose me!"

TracyKM said...

I really like that stripey sock!
Is there anything in the Arctic Lace book that is a garment? I'm still thinking of something to do with the lovely yarn you sent me. Right now though, as I'm fighting a fever, I REALLY wish I had a shawl. With built in gloves.

katrynka said...

Wow! I do not feel so badly about my ufos! If my husband says anything again I shall show him this entry! I think I have 3 things on the needles, and a finished mitten that needs a mate! But I also am not as prolific as you either!

Anonymous said...

oh my dear!!! wow!