Thursday, March 01, 2007

one that almost slipped by you...

I started and finished a new hat without even mentioning it here. Strange - I'm usually so very chatty about my knitting, I almost let this one slide by.
A little background information on this - At my son's school, they have set up a "Kiss and Ride" type of thing. Before this, you would have to try and get into the (smallish) parking lot to let child out, and then try and get out while the other parents were trying to get in. And of course, while doing this, you were trying not to run over the hundreds of kids running around. Thankfully, there were never any accidents (that I am aware of), but still - it was waiting to happen. So when Son was in SK, they set up the "Kiss and Ride". You drive up, the principal is there (rain or shine) to get kids out of cars, grab knapsacks and assorted other stuff out of the cars, and off you drive. For the younger kids, they have "walking buddies" - grade 6, 7, and 8 students that take safety training, and walk them to the kindergarten class. It's a fabulous system, and the Principal, Mr. L, is the main reason it works so well. He knows all the kids and the parents. Usually, it's Hubby who drops off Son, but the odd days when I do it, Mr. L always comments that Hubby must be off on one of his fishing trips!

So, I knit up this hat for Mr. L - it looks a little crumpled here, because I have knit the name of the school along the bottom, and I don't really want to show that - along the lines of too much information, I guess. Son was going to give it to Mr. L this morning, so I'm looking forward to hearing about the reaction.
I've also started another hat - out of some yummy handpainted 100% alpaca I picked up at Romni when out with LuckyCanuck - if FIL is getting a new hat for the fishing trip, hubby should, too! Pictures soon...

1 comment:

TracyKM said...

What a great system! At our last school, it was terrible. The strip in front of the school opened into the parking lot, at the very entrance to the parking lot, which was exactly aligned with where the crossing guard was. And--it wasn't one way entrance/exit type things. Cars going both ways, crossing where every child had to go. The VP (Lucy called him "The man with the hat") was also usually out there, but nothing was ever done about the actual car chaos.
At the new school, it's better, the two areas are separate, but still busy. You've got to get there 15 minutes early to get a spot, and because I have to actually go in to get Lucy, I can't just double park or something annoying. And, it's exactly one mile to the school--and no buses. How is it that they expect a 3 year old starting JK to walk the same distance as a 13 year old in grade 8?! Vent over!
I was hoping to see some Shelridge handpainted pictures!