Friday, March 02, 2007

storm aftermath

So last night, the Toronto area was getting warnings and alerts and everything about a major Winter storm. Usually, when we get that many alerts, we get a dusting of snow that means nothing. Yesterday, they got it right. Right enough that the boss at my work sent us home at 3pm. Let me repeat that. He SENT US HOME. This is the same dick that gave me grief for "excessive time off" when I took 4 days to help my Mom after major surgery. I was in shock. I was also not stupid, and was in my car by 3:05pm. Surprisingly, the drive home, while sloppy, was OK - yes it took me double the usual amount of time, and I had to stop twice to remove ice from my windshield wipers, but I've driven in worse. Overnight, it was supposed to change to freezing rain then just rain, and again, they got it right. But I guess enough people stayed home that my drive to work was actually not bad. A little slushy, but not bad. So, the end result of that is, I'm at work. Crap. I'm hoping for a power outage - I have enough knitting to keep me occupied.

But I did manage to take some pictures around my yard before I left.

My poor rhododendron - completely ice encrusted, although it may be tough to see. Here's the sugar maple that is right beside our driveway (and hangs over my car - a scary thought...)

And My lilac bush - this baby has had a hard life - The Mommy bush fell over in a windstorm 2 years ago, and this little guy is trying his best to take her place:


And, just be cause I'm at work at a job that tries my patience most days, I thought this was perfect for today:

Your Career Personality: Quiet, Service -Oriented, and Practical

Your Ideal Careers:
Artist
Chef Concierge Esthetician Forest Ranger Gardener Geologist Jewelry designer Pediatrician Teacher


Obviously I'm in the wrong line of work. Although I did (at one point) school to be a Graphic Artist, something I did do for a number of years. I still draw and paint, but not as much as I did when free time was more available.The big problem with most of these jobs is the required weekend work. And when you have a cottage and a family, weekend work doesn't work.The jewelery designer sounds fun - too bad the only jewelery designer I know does it as a hobby, because she can't make a living doing it. Sad.

1 comment:

TracyKM said...

Love ice storm pictures! We had just moved up here before the big ice storm of Jan 98. Got some great pictures--I'm sure people thought I was nuts, wondering the park with a camera, LOL. Last night was our knitting night. How can bad weather happen so often on Thursdays?!