Friday, March 23, 2007

river rock scarf

I'm glad to hear that Amy wasn't upset that I'm using wool for one of the projects in the book - not that I had any worries, I knew she wouldn't be mad at my choice, just peeved that she couldn't touch it! (A severe sensory wool allergy - man, shoot me before that happens to me...)

I worked a little more on it yesterday, both at lunch and at home. At lunch was kind of useless - everyone wanted to look at it, and fondle it, and well, that makes it hard to knit. So I'm back to my basic socks for lunchtime knitting!

Here's an up close of the beaded ribbing, as well as an up close of the rocks:
One more thing I am doing differently with this pattern (other than a complete change of fibre...) I'm not following the pattern. (I can hear the gasps of indignation from the pattern purists). When you look at this pattern, it's not symmetrical. The beaded rocks are placed throughout the scarf. One of the beautiful things about this pattern is the simplicity of it. It's really just a 2x2 rib pattern, with these "rocks" thrown in the middle of the knit rib every now and then. And, the beaded pattern is so simple, once you do it the first time, you can do it without reading. Brilliant. So, instead of sweating the pattern and making sure each rock is placed exactly, I'm placing them where I want. Some are in a vertical sequence like the pattern shows, some are solitary, but they are evenly (sort of) distributed throughout the scarf. I like it. I also don't have the same yardage as called for in the pattern, so the adaptation will allow me to make the scarf to the length I want and have the rocks placed equally-ish through out.

LuckyCanuck was asking me if this book was worth picking up. From just looking at it, and now making one pattern, I can unequivocally say YES. Any time a pattern book can educate me (the info on non-woolly fibres is fascinating) and provide me with multiple patterns I want to make, in my opinion (for what it's worth) is worthy of a spot in my bookcase. Although I don't see this one hitting the bookcase for a while. after the River Rock Scarf, Tuscany is calling! And no, I have no affiliation with the book, other than having had Amy up to our Guild for a talk and dinner, and finding her utterly charming. She's welcome back any time. Gush over.

Hope the weekend finds you having fun. I will be watching basketball (live and March Madness), and seeing at least one movie, I'm sure - The Last Mimzy or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Son wants to see both, so we will decide that on Sunday.
Happy Friday All!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks great Sandra & I'm sure that it looks even lovelier in person!

Anonymous said...

I really need to take a bead knitting class...

Sandra said...

Lucky,
you don't need a class for this - really. It's soooo easy to do.