Monday, March 05, 2007

the loss of an amazing person

I had a couple of posts ready for today. I took a picture of the Shelridge handpaint for Tracy. I was going to talk about Amy Singer's visit to our Guild tomorrow night. I was going to gloat about free laceweight.
But I've had a death close to me this morning. My best friend's mom, who was also my Mom's best friend died. And it sucks. I know it's for the best, and I know she was hurting, but that doesn't mean I don't want her here. Now. She was an amazing woman, someone I considered to be another mother. As kids, summers were spent at their cottage - 2 moms and 4 kids, and 2 dads on weekends. Growing up, her daughter and I were closer than I was to my brother and she was to her brother. And there's nothing I can do for her except hold her and let her cry, while I bawl myself.
I will be at the Guild meeting tomorrow - spending time with friends is the best remedy I can think of, and she loved my knitting, so I think it makes sense. I don't know how much time I'll spend at work for the next few days - my Mom could use some support, and there are things that need to be done. Plus, I'm off work next week, so posting may be sparse. Or it may not, I can't really get my head around things right now.
If you so feel, raise a glass tonight in honour of someone I hold near and dear. She loved a good martini, and I know my Dad is waiting for her, with a frosty one with two olives.

Cheers.

6 comments:

CatBookMom said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It must have been wonderful to have two moms, and your memories will help keep her goodness alive.

katrynka said...

My heart goes out to you. It is good to have friends like that.

Anonymous said...

dear sandra,
i am so sorry!
it does suck majorly!
my thoughts go out to you!

TracyKM said...

Yes, it would suck. Grief never comes at a convinient time. Your post reminds me of when the yarnharlot's friend Janine died. No words ever sound right at a time like this....Knit on, through all life's crisis...

Anonymous said...

That's hard. So sorry to hear about this. :(

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your second mom. It's the worst thing in the world, losing someone close to you. Condolences.