Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Not an old dog...

I guess I can learn new tricks, after all...

I've always been a sock knitter. I started with a Paton's Kroy "Learn to Knit Socks" Book - Top down, heal flap and gusset, wedge toe, kitchener stitch close. A great, all-around, can't go wrong sock pattern. Back when I started, there really was only Kroy sock yarn - again, a great all around, can't go wrong sock yarn. (I still have some. Obviously, my stash habits were learned early!)
Since that time, I've evolved in my sock yarn choices - how can you not? Have you SEEN the sock yarns out there...
I've also evolved in my style of knitting them - I discovered the short row toe and heel. Provisional cast on, yarn over style of short rowing the toe, pick up the provisional stitches, foot, short row the heel, knit the leg until you run out of yarn. Genius. No more running out of yarn before the toe is done, or making the leg too short because you want to make sure you have enough, then you have a ton left over. So now, I'm set, right? Got my basic pattern, don't need to write it down, can knit socks without thinking. Then I took a casting on class and learned (among many) the e-wrap cast on for provisional stitches. Goodbye crochet chain! I'm happy again. There was still the hassle of picking up the stitches for the toe, but still, easier than the crochet chain. Short row heel is good - the choice of husband and FIL, my main sock recipients. So NOW I'm set?

Then I saw the Turkish Toe Cast on. (I think it was from FluffyKnitterDeb) - sorry no link, this computer is eating my posts when I try to link things...
I've started two socks with this - one in grey cotton/elastic, and one in Austermann Step (the one with Aloe and Jojoba).

look at the side increases - no holes!

and the toe tip, up close...




Can I say something here? It's genius. Absolute genius. No provisonal cast on. No picking up stitches. Start at the toe, and increase - either equally all around for a star toe or at the sides for the basic wedge toe.

I've also switched from the yarn over style of short rowing the heel to the wrap and turn method. Both are equally easy for me.

You can teach me new tricks any time...

6 comments:

CatBookMom said...

I did my first toe-up sock in worsted, one for the Afghans socks project. It was also my first socks made with worsted wool. Man, did those go fast! I couldn't get the figure 8 toe, so I did a method I think I got from The Knitting Answer Book, casting on 2x stitches and then knitting every other one, ending up with x stitches on each side. Worked well.

But the part I didn't like at all was the W&T short-row heels. In spite of my best efforts, there were holes. I picked up the wrap stitches, both of them on the return section, but still, holes. I duplicate-stitched the holes as best I could, but it still didn't seem as sturdy as the top-down heel flap and decrease heel.

What's the key to short-row W&T without holes??

Anonymous said...

I like your aloe sock yarn. Very nice colourway. It'll be interesting to see when it gets further along.

As for that new toe-up...things that make you go, 'Hmmmm'!

Anonymous said...

Almost forgot for CatBook...the wrap and turns on the socks...I get the holes too, no matter how snugly I try to pull the stitches. Must be something that decreases in time with making more of them and more experience, but the wrap'n turn is fun. I've only done the one-and-a-half pair so far, so maybe, maybe, the next pair they'll be less holey?

Sandra said...

CBM,
first off -where's your blog? Have you left us, or is Blogger acting up??
second - I guess I've always been lucky - I've not had the hole problem on my short rows - either the yarn over method or the W&T. I guess I'm just lucky! Speaking of Lucky - it could be a gauge issue - Lucky knits to a looser gague than I do - maybe that's it...

TracyKM said...

My first pair of toe up socks, I tried the provisional cast on method. But you have to know who the socks will be for and how big. So you need to swatch sometimes. Those socks didn't get very far.
Since then, I learned the magic 8 cast on from www.knitty.com sort of like the ...oh...can't remember what it's called. Looks a lot like your toe--it's totally smooth inside too.
Now, you need to try garter stitch short row heels (Lucy Neatby)...next on my to do list.
I love learning something new. Just when you think there's nothing left to learn with knitting, something comes along!

TracyKM said...

For the holes....are you wrapping on the decreasing half of the heel as well? That might help. On my handknit socks, I only
got a hole where the short rows meet the body. On the machine knit socks, they were quite lacy. But I do think that was a gauge issue as they were a touch loose. Using a yarn that 'blooms' would help hide them maybe. Megan is helping me type so I better stop!