Monday, November 13, 2006

time management

How do some women do it? Family, Work, Time for yourself? I was looking around the house yesterday, and the "stuff" is starting to pile up. Alot. Young son has toys and stuff. I have wool (just a little). Hubby has, well, I'm not sure what he has, but there seems to be a lot of it around. Tools in the kitchen. Papers in the living room. You get the picture. Lately, Hubby has been saying things like "We have to get rid of stuff. It could be a fire hazard". Then he leave a set of screwdrivers on the kitchen table. We're on day six of the screwdrivers on the table. I wtched him MOVE the damn things a foot over so he could put the salad down last night. Still, I said nothing. I didn't have the heart to get into it last night, especially since the screwdrivers are now sitting on top of a pile of knitting magazines a books. Sigh. I guess he means the royal "WE". i.e. ME. He has plans to get rid of stuff, but to be honest, he's really bad at it. He can't do a little at a time. He's an all or nothing kind of guy. So, if he wants to clean out a room, it takes him all day, and he ends up making a bigger mess in the rest of the house. He can't just clean out his desk, he has to do the whole office. And he gets distracted. I love hime to death, but I'd really rather he didn't try to help! I had a week's holidays planned for this month - originally planned to be spent in Florida with Mom, but since she's not there, no use in going. So I was going to spend it digging through the CRAP in the house. But then, at work, it was suggested that, with all the time off I've taken lately for Mom's medical stuff, etc., it would be prudent to maybe not take holidays right now. If anyone else had suggested this to me, I would have laughed in their face. However, it was my immediate supervisor, a great guy I would do almost anything for. (I know the grammer sucks in that last sentence. oh well.) He's gone to bat for me a lot, and I respect him, which says a lot. So, my time off has been put off until January or February. There's not many people I would do this for - this guy is one of them. I really hope he leaves this company, becasue he'd take me with him!!
So the digging out will have to wait. My weekends are busy enough just trying to keep up with everything. Hubby is working a ton of hours (the joys of owning the place), so he's not around much. Plus, he just doesn't do anything for Christmas. It falls to me. Pretty much all of it. Yesterday was his sister's birthday. I reminded him 12 times to call her. He didn't, and on principle, I didn't because I think he should have. But the fallout will come my way that we "forgot". I didn't and I will make sure his mother knows it was his fault. (She won't hear that part - her boys are perfect, and in her generation, that kind of thing should fall to the women. grrrr.)

And, given the choice of cleaning out a room, or playing a game with my son - well, maybe it now makes sense why the house is the way it is. He's way more important to me that an organized house.

Knitting to come - I've finished another self-designed hat!

1 comment:

TracyKM said...

I often wonder how women do it all. I cannot, at all, fathom having to leave the house all gussied up at some ungodly hour, with kids in tow, dropping them somewhere while it's still dark...It's hard enough just getting them to school!
And I think we have the same husband. He'll complain about the mess...but spend the evening watching TV. Then the weekend comes and he complains non-stop about the house, as he's 'voluntarily' cleaning. I'm like, well, put your stuff away every day, help everyday, and it wouldn't get like that. He'll watch me empty the dishwasher, then put his dish on the counter. Why? He 'didn't know it was empty'. ARgh. He lost his tapemeasure that had been sitting on the counter for a month. Blames me non-stop. Buys a new one. Finds the old one in the pocket of his garage jacket. But it's my fault. And no...of course none of the mess in the kitchen is because of him....not the mortgage papers still not filed from May....not the cheese slice wrapper that didn't make it into the can....
Argh. I'd vent on my own blog, but his Mommy reads it sometimes :)