Monday, November 06, 2006

some quickies...

I'm lovin' post titles that will get s ome unusual Google hits...

I finished up some projects on the weekend - I'm not really sure how - it was one of those whirlwind type weekends that went by so quickly, I sat there on Sunday and tried to remember where I had been and what I had done. I checked - both hubby and son seemed fed and happy and reasonably clean, so I must have done something right...
I blocked the drama hat (balloons are perfect for hat blocking, by the way), and on Saturday afternoon, started another hat (what's with the hats all of a sudden?? It seems to be my gift of choice this year...) that I finished up on Sunday night during the Amazing Race (sorry to see Kentucky go, but I would really like to see the blonde bimbos crash and burn badly).

The little guy sitting with the hat? A gnome. I started a major hullabaloo last year on the Knitting.About.com forum when I posted the picture of a gnome that was a pattern insert in a UK magazine. Seriously, this is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time, and I'm not one for cutesy stuff. I love this guy. I keep meaning to give him to a friend, but he has yet to leave my house. Friend will get one, just not this one. I wish I had more time to knit these - they don't take long, but they are all in pieces, so there is a fair bit of finishing to be done. CatBookMom loved him so much, she tracked down the magazine publishers in the UK, and got the pattern released to her. I'm pretty sure she still has it available - CBM, if not, let me know, and I'll see what I can do. Alan Dart is the designer, and I guess he is well known for his critter and toy patterns.

This is a New Zealand Yarn by J.J's (??) I really have to keep yarn bands and tags around longer). My LYS stocks this in wonderful handpaint colourways, it's 100% wool, and works up very nicely. I went by Needles and Knits on Saturday to get two balls of Truffle for lining the hats - I should have walked out of there under $20 - $200 later... I have no yarn will power. None. What. So. Ever. And I have my Guild meeting tomorrow night. Best leave the wallet at home!!
I am soooo close to finishing the blue cotton socks, and have made great progress on the Tibetan Nun socks - hopefully, basketball practice, Guild Meeting and swimming lessons this week should give me the time needed to finish these two things so I can start a pair of socks for Hubby. Did I choose the Fly Fishing colourway? The Yukon (which seems to have people drooling...) or, or...

right. Neither of them. Meet Knit Picks Sock Memories Cape Cod colourway. I'm drawn to this, and I know hubby will love them. So Cape Cod it is.

Mor about our Guild Meeting tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad about spending, spending, spending. Beau and I were at Royal Winter Fair on Saturday and lo and behold, there was a wool vendor. I bought a couple of hanks of a rough, heavy wool for something. It was a pretty orange and only $6 each. Belle Vallée Mills, north of Timmins was the place. Everywhere you look, you can find something. Of course, I visited Romni after but that's another tale.

CatBookMom said...

Your gnome looks great! And yes, the requests for the PDF do keep coming along. I think I read somewhere that the magazine is going to re-release the pattern, but I can't remember where/when I saw that. You've heard of brain freeze? Well, I've developed Brain Sieve Syndrome; stuff goes in, falls right out, lol!