Tuesday, November 07, 2006

First Tuesday of the month!

Yes, that means a meeting of the York Region Knitting Guild. And this month Wannietta Prescod is speaking. I can’t wait. I took a class from Wannietta at the Downtown Knit Collective’s Knitters Frolic in April. It was fantastic, and I’m looking forward to seeing her again. Tonight is just a general talk, about her and knitting and stuff. In the New Year, I can see having her back doing a workshop – she finally made buttonholes make sense to me, and necklines? Well, let’s just say I had a D’oh! moment in April. It makes so much sense, now.
I hope Wannietta doesn’t mind a little show and tell. This is the second last meeting before the sacred or secular gift-identified festival of your choice. (My choice is Christmas). There is usually a fair bit of gift knitting to be shown off. I was hoping to have Icarus ready today, but it’s not going to happen I’ll have the comedy/tragedy mask hat done, as well as the rainbow hat. It seems a little weird doing show and tell. A number of the Guild members read this, and so see most of the stuff as its being made. I wonder if they sit there during show and tell and think “ho-hum. The bowling hat AGAIN. Hasn’t she made anything I haven’t seen?”

Oh, and if any Guild members are reading this - I may be a little late - Son has basketball practice tonight, and Hubby may be late - So if I'm late, welcome Wannietta, willya? She's super nice. And I should be there in good time - hopefully, I won't be dragging a sweaty seven year old boy along with me, hoping hubby will be along to pick him up...

On a completely non-knitting, but parenting note...
When I picked up my son at the sitters yesterday, he mentioned that his teacher would be calling the house tonight. Ok... "why?" I asked. Of course, he doesn't know. But he was asked to leave the carpet at reading time today, so I have an inkling it has something to do with talking out of turn, or the poking that young boys do to each other when asked to sit in close quarters. Fine. I have no problem with this. My problem? When a teacher says she going to call - and I'm ready for this call all night, I'd appreciate the call! No call. And I'm out of the house tonight, so hubby will handle it if the call comes tonight. Actually, this is good - Hubby is probably better at dealing with this kind of thing. I know there is nothing to worry about - Son is a good kid, not prone to anything that will land him in juvenile detention, but still, don't we all want our kids to be perfect? (Not that we ever were...)

2 comments:

CatBookMom said...

You HAVE to tell all about Wannietta's knitting speed in one of your posts. 243 sts in 3 minutes is boggling my tiny mind. How does she knit? English or Continental? Wraps yarn or not? Circs or straights? Wood/bamboo or metal?

Sorry, got off on a tangent there. Have a wonderful time!

Unknown said...

Maybe I'll get one of the kids to record me one time & YouTube it. That might be fun!!