Tuesday, November 14, 2006

root for the home team...

Well, I've finished another self-designed hat. My young nephew plays for the Toronto Marlies organization - he's a pretty good hockey player, so I thought I'd make up something special for him

I've sent the picture to my brother to see if it's "cool" enough (My God, when did I lose my own coolness metre??). Of course, if it's good, I expect the following exchange between me and bro:
Bro: It's great. Can you make 25 of them for the team?
Me: No.
Bro: C'mon - whip them up on the machine like the scarves you made for Niece's team last year. I'll pay for the yarn.
Me: No. This is done by hand, can't be done on the machine, and they would take too long. Let him be unique on the team.
(Side Note - the scarves? I knit 20 scarves for my niece's hockey team last year - ok, they were done on the machine, but still. Striped, time consuming and ack! Red Heart. My Mom wove in all the ends and blocked them. Niece verbally thanked her when Mom brought them over. I never heard a thing. Nada. Zip. Not a thank you to be heard. Bro gave a cheque to my Mom for her to mail to me (We live about an hour or so apart). He didn't even mail it himself!!!! I've heard nothing from my Niece or her team. Yeah, I'm ready to do THAT again.)
Bro: Give Mom the pattern - she can make them.
Me: No. Mom hates knitting Fair Isle and has better things to do with her time.
Bro: Silence. Whatever. thanks for nothing.
Me: Sigh. (note to self - ask Mom again to convince me that Bro and I are related).
One more Christmas gift done!

Fat Head Hat
Yeah, so I decided to whip up a hat using the same pattern (folded hem, etc.) using up some stash Briggs and Little yarn. Since I wasn't doing Fair Isle, and it wouldn't pull in as much, I reduced the number of stitches by 20. Still, this baby is HUGE! So much for the 8 year old intended recipient! I've got a huge melon atop my shoulders, and this thing swims on me. Who knew the B&L would change the gauge so much? Other than being coarser, it's pretty much the same grist as the Smart or Heilo I was using before. I guess my FIL is getting himself a new hat for Christmas...

At least I know to reduce the stitch count again for the next one...

And just because this made me laugh out loud...

Your Boobies' Names Are...

Wonder Woman and Batgirl


EDITED TO ADD: (after reading comments from a few days ago...)
Holy Crap! Stephanie reads this!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra.

I've been reading your blog for a while since Stephanie posted a link.

I just had to delurk to ask if your brother was somehow cloned from mine? I just recently had my oldest brother live with me for two months and the lack of gratitude or assistance around the house was infuriating. He's a grown man, I shouldn't have to nag!

Anyway, I love the hats you've been designing. I can't imagine having to make 25 of them though. I saw two Marlies buying subs at Subway last week. Man those guys are big. That's a lot of hat knitting.

Sandra said...

Hi Back!
Thanks for the nice comment about the hats - I should clarify something - My 10 year old nephew does not play with the main Marlies team - he's on one of the junior Rep teams.
Brothers - can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em and get away with it...

Anonymous said...

Mine are called Bert and Ernie. How sexy.

TracyKM said...

I love knitting for my niece too, but I usually have to mail her the things. She's only 8, so I don't expect much from her, but you'd think my SIL (my brother's wife!) could at least email me that she GOT the item! Thankfully, she's at the age limit for frequent knitted gifts. It's time I make more for my own kids!