Tuesday, November 21, 2006

teacher gifts

Okay, so I totally sympathize with teachers at Holiday time. How many "World's Greatest Teacher" mugs, soap sets, and chocolates can one person endure? (Although, I'm thinking, chocolate is not so bad...) Son's school has a nice idea - we donate a book to the school library in the teacher's name - basically we send in the money, the librarian buys the book, and on the last day of school before holidays, each child presents the book to the teacher for the library. But... there still seems to be gifts to the teacher from the kids. When Bro and I were kids, my parents always gave our teachers wine. We were very popular kids. SO, I have done the same for the most part. But I started something in kindergarten that is going to haunt me. Yup, handmade something. Teachers talk amongst themselves, and I am now marked. Son's grade one teacher still raves about the Kid Silk scarf, and Kindergarten! Well, he had the same fabulous teacher for Jk and Sk, and she still goes on about the felted clogs and scarf. So, how can I not do something for grade two teacher? But this year, I have come up with something that I am very proud of - and Son did it, not me. My LYS had these kits - very reasonably priced and perfect for a 7 year old to do with some supervision.

It's woven! The kit comes with the black open weave base, and a ball of bulky yarn (Italian, no less). Simply cut the yarn to length and weave away. I cut, and started the weaving, and son finished it himself. I think it's very pretty, it's incredibly warm, and best of all, Son can proudly give it and say "I made if myself!" His teacher is very nice, and will appreciate the fact that the child did it himself.

The scarf will wrap a bottle of wine - I REALLY like this teacher!

The best part? My LYS also sells just the black open weave base, in scarf size and stole size. We have two stole sizes at home, waiting to become Son-made gifts for each of his grandmothers. Oh yeah - he's getting huge brownie points this year...

And, because CatBookMom tagged me... (although I think it's funny that a Canadian is deemed not to have an American accent) Of course I don't! And truthfully, I don't think I have a Canadian accent either - I don't say "aboot" for about (and I don't really know anyone that does...), and I never say "eh?" (sorry to break the myth...). I do however break out the french accent after a few drinks - it's subtle, but Hubby says it is definitely there...

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
Boston
North Central
Philadelphia
The Northeast
The Inland North
The South
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say 'eh' a lot! And a coworker who is from Montreal says it a lot, too.

TracyKM said...

I love the weave scarf project! That'd be great for my son too. He watches Art Attack, and is really great at drawing, but doesn't understand why he can't make things like they do on TV. I think I've seen them at Wal-Mart or Michaels.
I don't know anyone who says Aboot either. My mom spent summers in the Ottawa Valley and says rowhnd for round/brown/down/found (imagine smiling while saying it, it's not a British accent type of thing). My husband got noticed as being a Canadian in Kentucky while talking to someone because he said 'eh' a lot, LOL.

smariek said...

That's a great scarf project! I'm many years (so I think) from having to think of teacher gifts, but I really like how kids can do this one and say they did it themselves. Will have to remember this one, and see whether I can find something like this locally.