Tuesday, September 05, 2006

first day of school

I love this day. Not because the Son goes back to school and I have the house to myself - I'm out of the house before he and his Dad are in the mornings, but because of how much he enjoys going to school. He started Grade 2 today, which is kind of freaking me out - I swear he was an infant just yesterday, but I know this is something all Moms say. We walkd him to school, and waited in the courtyard for the teachers to come and collect their classes. He was off with his buddies, doing what 7 year olds do, while all the parents were chatting, getting caught up on a summer's worth of news, and sipping Tim Horton's coffee. Exclusively. This must say something about us, since there is a Country Style just as close, but every single one of us had Timmies. I can't wait until tonight - picking him up, and hearing all about the first day - who he's sitting with, what the plans are, how nice his teacher is. Of course, we have to stuff all this into a short period of time - tonight is also my Guild meeting, so I'm out tonight, and Dad gets to hear all about the day as well.

I figured out that Blogger was not to blame for my picture uploading woes last week, it was my computer at home that was the culprit. We have three computers there - two desktops and a laptop. Here's how lazy we are - the internet is only hooked up to one of them - the one still being powered by the hamster on a wheel. Gotta do some upgrading. I'd post a picture of the "pair" of socks and the stitch markers, but alas, I don't have that memory card with me. Maybe I can get my act together tomorrow...

This past weekend was a rather wet long weekend. Didn't stop us from going to the cottage mind you. It actually worked in my favour - lots of knitting time when cooped up inside. I started and finished the "they must be Pirates" hat from Hello Yarn. Great pattern - nice shaping, nice pattern. I will make this again, and may adapt the shaping to other colourwork patterns. I made the Hat in Smart yarn - a superwash wool, but then made the lining in red Truffles - a completely NON superwash merino/cashmere blend. But man! Does it ever feel nice against the forehead! THe plan is to give this to our cottage neighbour's 16 year old daughter - skulls are the big accessory in the teen years, I gather. She also does a fair bit of kid-sitting for us as well. But of course, young Son saw it this morning, and decided he would like one as well. Good thing I got enough to make two...



Oh, and a note to the preson who wondered why I never knit socks for my Dad? Although I've known how to knit for decades, I've really only become a Knitter in the past 4 or 5 years. Dad passed away long before I ever knit socks, or anything like that. I like to think he would have liked a pair, and appreciates that I make them for Hubby, Son, FIL, and other special males in my life. I still wish I could have made him a pair, though. I'd knit an intarsia martini glass on the leg for him. But no olive - a twist of lemon. Always a twist.

5 comments:

TracyKM said...

Our computer is really old too! So old, that we can't download the software for our new digital camera!
The pirate hat sounds delicious with Truffles on the inside. A non fattening version, LOL!
Are you going to Kitchener on Saturday?

TracyKM said...

Our computer is really old too! So old, that we can't download the software for our new digital camera!
The pirate hat sounds delicious with Truffles on the inside. A non fattening version, LOL!
Are you going to Kitchener on Saturday?

TracyKM said...

Our computer is really old too! So old, that we can't download the software for our new digital camera!
The pirate hat sounds delicious with Truffles on the inside. A non fattening version, LOL!
Are you going to Kitchener on Saturday?

TracyKM said...

Our computer is really old too! So old, that we can't download the software for our new digital camera!
The pirate hat sounds delicious with Truffles on the inside. A non fattening version, LOL!
Are you going to Kitchener on Saturday?

TracyKM said...

OH, gosh...Sorry to fill you up with the same comment over and over... I clicked the button and nothing happened...a couple times...see, my computer really IS old!