Tuesday, September 12, 2006

what did I start?


Well of course I started SOMETHING...
Lucky had it right - I did cast on for the Atacama alpaca shawl. and frogged it and recast it on. I hate poorly written patterns. Lucky, call me and I'll give you the modifications. The pattern as written is close, but not quite...

HOWEVER... I also cast on a pink cotton chenille washcloth. And frogged it. and recast it on. and frogged it. Cotton chenille has even less stretch than regular cotton, so the cast on is horrible. I need a new one. I'm looking into the tubular cast on, and also looking at other patterns. I'm not thrilled with the Mason Dixon chenille pattern. Interweave has a flower petal shaped on - anyone remember what issue? Never mind - Google is a wonderful thing, and I found it. (Winter 2003) I cast that one on in navy blue, and so far, so good, but making the five petals and attaching them? Not my favourite thing. So the hunt continues. Yes I know about the Dishcloth boutique, and there are a couple there I am thinking about...

I spent Monday night and most of yesterday at my Mom's - she's doing fine. It gave me tons of knitting time, as my most pressing thing to do there was to keep her lying down. Mission accomplished. We sat and watched TV most of Monday night. Great knitting time. I'm finished the 5 repeats of the ladder lace part of Icarus, and will be starting the feathery bits next. I did some work on the Atacama alpaca shawl and some work on the green Regia sock. I'm so close to finishing this sock, and then the pair goes into the Christmas box! It also frees up the needles for some of the sock yarn I bought in Kitchener - I'm thinking Hubby would like some of the denim blue...

Tonight - son has swimming lessons - more work on the sock - then the Rock Star Supernova finale! Will Lukas win it? or Dilana? As much as I want Lukas to win (a fellow Canadian), I think it's going to be Dilana. That's ok, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damned shawl pattern...grrrr.I'll be calling!

TracyKM said...

For the flower washcloth...knit it from the center out--although the first few rounds would be fiddly. Then you work each petal outwards, cut yarn, and work on next petal. I could picture even making the petals so they're not all the same.
Of course, with the original, you're making the petals first, then joining--I'm not sure why that would be bothersome, except for boredom after 2 of the petals, LOL...and the last few rounds of the middle would be fiddly.
I can also see them with a roughish yarn in the very middle, like a loofah...oh dear, I knew I should have bought some of that chenille...