Monday, September 25, 2006

10 knitterly things...

I was reading Grumperina, and she had a meme - 10 knitterly things about you, so I considered myself tagged...

1. although I've known how to knit for decades, I've really only become a Knitter in the past 4-5 years. I'm still surprised that I'm a reasonably good knitter. The woman who taught me told me to never be afraid of a pattern. So I guess I never learned to worry about techniques tht were new to me. I can usually figure them out. (And if I can't, I have Tove or Elizabeth nearby!!)

2. I joined a Guild, not knowing what to expect, and discovered how much I love being part of a knitting community. I wish we met more often.

3. (This one isn't just about me) My entire extended family (with the exception of hubby and son) thinks that knitting is the ultimate in geekiness. Most of my friends do as well. No one will tell me this to my face. I think they like the gifts.

4. I always have at least one (if not many) pairs of socks on the go. I cannot imagine not having a pair of socks in progress. The mere thought of that makes me nervous. (maybe I am a geek.)

5. I have multitudes of knitting projects on the go - socks, something in lace (currently, Icarus), some ancient UFO's that I'm deciding whether to carry on with, and assorted other small projects (currently a skull hat and an alien hat).

6. I don't seem to like knitting sweaters. I always have the best intentions of making them, but the projects fall by the wayside. The last sweater I made was the Sigridur from the Best of Lopi book, and I finished it last spring, just in time for summer. I don't have very good timing.

7. I rarely keep anything I knit for myself. Although, I did keep Sigridur, and I have 3 pairs of socks that I knit.

8. I love giving hand knits as gifts. WIth the size of my Christmas gift list - this is a serious undertaking. Crazy? yes. This is not a surprise to many of my friends.

9. I have achieved SABLE status - Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy. And I'm not finished buying yet. Tove's shop has everything at 25% off right now...

10. I'm a fibre snob. I used to knit with synthetics alot, but I just cleared the last chunk of acrylic from my stash and gave it to a friend who uses it for charity stuff. I love the natural stuff, and even better, I love the stuff from local or small mills. The more unique, the better!

Lucky and Tracy, I'm tagging you for this meme!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so on this, like white on rice! I'll do mine tonight. I saw Grumperina's and thought, this will be an excercise done by many. Beware - I suspect more than a few of yours will be the same on mine. Great minds think alike!

CatBookMom said...

Thank you for not including the shop's URL. I'm trying to resist Sknitty's link to Little Knits and Jayne's (See Jayne Knit) to HandPainted Yarns. Or WEBS newest E Lavold closeouts. Or....

Yep, SABLE status R Us

Anonymous said...

i am so with you on the issue of NATURAL FIBRES!
and on the necessity of always having socks on the go, and within easy reach.
see you next tuesday!

Anonymous said...

p.s.
...also supporting local producers!
they have such beautiful stuff.
their work is heroic, considering how labour intensive it is.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering! It's great to learn all the facets of a knitter :) (especially one I know from way back when...)

Anonymous said...

I feel like a yarn snob now! I just took all my "Red Heart" yarn from years of crocheting to the local Senior Center yesterday. Since I started knitting (haven't crocheted a thing since I found out 4 years ago I was going to be a Grandma) I haven't used any of that kind of yarn. It is so scratchy. I think I started a riot when I came in with a huge laundry basket filled with all sorts of colors and told them to "ENJOY"! The ladies started circling before I even went out the door.