Thursday, September 21, 2006

quickies...

This title should bring out the weirdos from Google...

I finished the green regia stripe socks - another for the Christmas box! Okay, gift for the best man from our wedding - check. 9 million more gifts to make/buy/decide on? check. Sigh. I need more time already...



Someone asked me once how I cast off my socks, since I do a toe up style. The first time I did this, I bound off as I normally do (slip one, knit one, psso, knit one, psso), you know, the standard bind off we all learn. Of course, there is very little stretch to this, and well, cutting off one's circulation at the top of a sock? Not attractive. Then I met Stephanie. The first time she visited Aurora, I picked her up at the subway and drove her to the shop. As I drove, we talked, and she knit. She was trying a new sock pattern - toe up - and was casting off the top. SO she shared her cast off with me, and I've been using it ever since. (She doesn't. I see she's back to top down, heel flap and gusset socks). The cast off is simple - knit two together, put the resulting stitch back on the left needle, and repeat. Knit this loosely, or go up a needle size. It works very well for me. It does flare a bit when the sock is just laying there, but as long as it is comfortable on the leg, who cares how they looked shoved, (sorry, folded neatly...) in a sock drawer?



Sorry for the flash-y pictures - I usually take the pictures early in the morning before the family awakes (remember? secret blogging?) and it's too dark these days to take pictures outside, so you get my kitchen table instead. I'll do better son - maybe a session of weekend pictures...

You know, considering I really had nothing to say today, and only a picture of socks, I've stretched this entry out quite a bit. Next up for these needles - some of the denim-y merino I bought in Kitchener - hubby needs a new pair of socks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You da Sock Queen! Don't be shy about telling hubby re. blog existence. I told the Beau and he gleefully reads it daily, just 'cuz he likes me. Offers much encouragement. Still doesn't want anything other than grey or black socks.

Sandra said...

I'm not shy about telling him. I just want the option of talking about my family in a way they may or may not like...

Anonymous said...

cast off: knit one, knit another one,pass first stitch over, if you get my meaning, loosley.
it is elastic but doesn't flare.
keep bloging. love all your socks!

Anonymous said...

Heh heh. I hear you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this method of casting off... I just finished my first Turkish cast on, toe up, two circ. sock (hopefully that will be sockS real soon!) and this cast off worked wonderfully. A lot of firsts with this sock! Thanks again & Happy Blogging!