Friday, September 21, 2007

Tubey!

Many thanks to Rachel H for identifying the sweater pattern I am after - Tubey from Knitty! Emma knit hers with a solid blue Briggs and Little body, and a different blue wool for the sleeves. It was stunning, and I mentally filed it away. Except, my mental filing system isn't very good and I forgot the name, but Rachel came through. Thanks, Rachel! I owe you one..\


(and BTW, it's not just my mental filing system that's a mess - meet my work files.
Files, Piles, what's the difference? (but it annoys people around here that I have this stuff on my desk. Whatever. It works for me.)

So back to Tubey, or maybe Lite Brite , (but I may have other plans for that sweater), I plan on using some Elann Highland Wool that I have for the body, and the Sheepstrings variegated for the sleeves. Choices below? Your thoughts? anyone? Bueller?
There's a Maple Red, Oregano Green, Natural Oatmeal, and and Gingery-pumpkin colour. I may have a preference (Maple Red), but would really like to hear what you all think (Maple Red). I don't want to influence (Maple Red) anyone, so please feel free to give your (Maple Red) opinion). (The above picture of the Sheepstrings and the Maple Red is not to sway your vote in any way...) It's really to show you how different the two balls of Sheepstrings are - one has way more green, and the other is a more muted red (almost a Maple Red, to be exact), and orange blend. I will use both balls at once, alternating every two rows on the sleeves. And I apologize for the general crappiness of the photos - seems I was a bit shaky this morning...

Thanks also to everyone who commented on my choker. I am rather proud of it, and actually incredibly surprised at: 1. how easy it was, and 2. how quickly it knit up. For those that asked: Brenda Franklin's web site is found here. Mine is the Knit Drop Necklace (about 1/2 way down the page, right side). I bought a kit at her booth for $27.00. I also have the pattern for the Bugle Loop Necklace, and I have her first book, and after doing this choker, I will be looking through this book in a little more detail. When I bought it a year ago, I really thought that these items were beyond me. I now know better - they are not hard. Fiddly at times, but not hard to do. Get over the fear of 0000 needles and get going! One suggestion - she uses silk thread in a lot of her kits. It is VERY slippery. And VERY splitty. SO VERY SLIPPERY AND SPLITTY, especially on metal 0000 needles. Size 8 Cotton Perle works very well as a substitute, and will not have you in tears if you drop a stitch. (Not that I know ANYTHING about that...)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Kerwyn & I are the picture beside the old saw "opposites attract". He's black, I'm white. He's patient, I've worn out countless bits by chomping through them. He is organized and neat almost to the point of OCD. His desk at work has very little on it through the day and at the end of the day you'd swear that no one worked there. I spread myself out to the edges of every surface then I start going up the walls - shelves and/or pin-up boards! As long as the chaos is mine I can totally work in it & thrive even!!

LOL

Needles said...

Whatever you do, go with the Maple Red! And Tubey.

Not that I have an opinion mind...

Anonymous said...

Definitely the Maple Red and I was in no way influenced by your preference...ha!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder about Tubey! I saw it and loved it on Knitty a while ago but never made a note of it. Now its on my list of future projects where it belongs!

Anonymous said...

Maple Red. Definitely. And you're welcome.

Carol said...

actually, before I read the post I thought, "Mmmm, nice red". so I would say...maple red!

Anonymous said...

Definitely Tubey - and wouldn't that Maple Red look nice!!!
Nancy

P.S. hey - what are 0000 in metric??? (please don't tell me that is metric!)

Unknown said...

My desk is hideous and getting worse by the moment. My boss is retiring and everything is getting dumped on my desk rather than in that very large bin that sits outside my cube. Go figure.

I love the red and the Tubey.