Monday, September 17, 2007

multi-tasking: good or bad? discuss...

Okay, so I'm a Mom who works outside the home. By nature of this description I am a multi-tasker. (actually, any mom, hell any WOMAN is a multi-tasker). I can make dinner, empty the dishwasher, help my son with his homework and do a couple of other things all during the evening. My husband, on the other hand, seems only to be able to do laundry and nothing else. (Yes, laundry - that chore that takes you 10 minutes out of every hour to switch loads). Actually, he is the king of single task living. I cannot fathom how one lives like this... But this is not about him. It's more about when multi-tasking goes wrong. Saturday, I'm baking (testing cake recipes for my FIL's birthday, and making a coffee cake (caramel-apple-pecan - Yum!). Since there is some downtime between stuffing the coffee cake in the oven and getting started on the next thing, I pick up my knitting. (I can knit while standing in the kitchen - for those who have seen my kitchen, I can also watch TV at the same time) . I check the cake, and decide to move it closer to the centre of the oven. Since it's in a silicone bundt pan, I (consciously, yes I knew what I was doing!) grab the silicone with my BARE FINGERS, justifying to my over fried brain that "since it's not metal, it WON"T BE HOT! Note, that at this time, I am grabbing the HOT pan with my left hand, holding my beaded choker knitting in my right hand, because I'm too stupid to put it down and do one thing at a time. Fingers get burned, knitting drops onto oven door (thank god for glass beads, and quick reflexes - there was no damage to the choker!) Husband comes running, reacting to the squeal I must have emitted. After ascertaining that I wasn't badly burned, he went back into the living room, laughing his ass off, with the comment "Now you know why multi-tasking is BAD." He's lucky his parents were coming for dinner, so I couldn't spit in his food...
But the choker survived, and lived to be knit on again. (And again, and again.)
Can I tell you how much I freaking love this? All 1500+ size 8 seed beads and 30 dagger beads, the slipperiest, splittiest silk thread, the size 000 metal needles (that occasionally pressed against my burned thumb and forefinger)?

While these pictures sort of captures the beauty of the beads, there is a depth of colour that has to be seen. The seed beads have a pinky tone to the bronze, and in reality, the colours of the two are much closer in tone. It's heavy, and luxurious, and I can't wait to wear it.

Specs:

Brenda Franklin Bead Kit - bought at Kitchener Knitters Fair

The kit came complete with everything except the needles, and I already had those. However, my needles were about 8 inches long, and this project would have been easier on longer needles - it was tough to fit on the needles towards the end.

I have more of her patterns - I bought one of her books last year, and had never done anything with it - I wasn't sure I would like the small beads and how they looked once finished. Well, I love how they look, and will do more. The only modification I am going to make is to sew a secure clasp on this - she recommends and loop and ball of beads, and I'm not sure it is secure enough.

Tomorrow - the Zoo! My son and I decided to see the Dinosaurs Alive! exhibit at the Toronto Zoo on Sunday. We also stopped by the African Savannah while we were there, and took a side trip to India/Malaysia...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh-so-cool!

Unknown said...

It's beautiful - you just zipped through it!
And multi-tasking might have it's cons, but it beats wasting time hand over fist!!

Needles said...

You are laugh out loud funny, and absolutely correct. I have a hubby, and raised 3 sons, after being raised in a house full of sisters, I know the differences.

One of my sons admitted that while a womans mind is processing a thousand things when she has that faraway look in her eyes, a mans is processing nothing. It just means he has that faraway look in his eyes.

Needles said...

and the beads. You make me want to try this. BUT I'm not ready for this yet.

Resisting, resisting resisting.

katrynka said...

Well, my resistance is gone!! Other than Brenda Franklin, what other kits have you used?! I have TONS of beads, and would love to do the bracelets and necklaces with them!!

Sorry about the burned fingers:(

Carol said...

Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished necklace!
Sorry about the fingers. I too do things like that and my hubby also laughs at me....

Anonymous said...

multi-tasking is GOOD!
how else would we ever get anything done.
hope the fingers are healing.

TracyKM said...

Women were bred to be good multi-taskers because we had to tend to the cave, the babies, make the food, and keep everyone alive. Men only needed to sit in a tree and focus on clubbing an animal to death.
The beads fascinate me. But having to string them yourself? Hope your fingers feel better!
There was a very pretty lacy shrug in the August (or July) Magknits.com.