Monday, October 02, 2006

being pulled...

in so many directions. I've heard my generation called the "Sandwich Generation". We are caught between providing care to our kids, and to our parents. Today, I'm home with my son, who is coughing up a storm and has been all weekend. We've been to the doctor, and his lungs are clear, but I just can't send him to school when he's coughing every 30 seconds. Here's hoping he's better tomorrow, because I have to leave work early so I can meet my Mom at her vascular surgeon's appointment. She had a small procedure to clear a blockage in her leg a few weeks ago, but the blockage was too big and they couldn't clear it arthroscopically. But the doc said there was nothing to worry about, keep exercising and we'll look at our options. Fine. Now she gets a call last week and he says, "I read the angiogram wrong. I'd like to see you Tuesday". She's a little freaked. (Mom gets a touch emotional). So, to make sure we are getting the right info, I'm going with her to hear what he has to say. 12 years ago, Mom had a quadruple heart by-pass and it was the best thing she ever did. She looks and acts younger now that she did before the surgery. But now, she's getting worried again. And to be honest, so am I. No one wants to realize that their parents are getting older. Even though Dad died 11 years ago, I expect my Mom to be there for me forever. I have to be confident that whatever needs to be done for her will be done, and she will be better than ever. I need to hear that myself from the doctor.
Oh, and the other direction I'm being pulled? Work. They've called alot today. If I'm that damn indispensible, get me an assistant, fer gawd's sake!!!!
Knitting. Yep. I've finished the Alien Hat. I hope to be at my Guild meeting tomorrow night to show it off, and maybe get a picture taken so you non-Guild members can see it too...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's crossing all fingers and toes for yer mum! Hopefully all will be well. My mom had two heart valves replaced when she was 50. Now there's no stopping her.

Anonymous said...

good thoughts and est wishes for your Mom and you!!! see you tomorrow.