Monday, October 30, 2006

I'm baa-aaa-ack...

Wow. It feels like I've been away for ever - from here and from my real life. And it was less than a week! But looking after a loved one, especially one's Mom, after surgery can really warp your sense of time and space. First off, Mom's great. Better than great. Other than being an emotional mess, she's doing fabulous. The emotion I expected - Mom's always been a pretty emotional person, but this level even caught me by surprise. A phone call would set her off, so I tried to get to the phone first, and let her know who was calling so she could compose herself. This got better as the week progressed, but when my aunt arrived on Saturday, well, the two of them just melted into a big tub of goo. My cousin and I just sort of stood there and chatted while the two of them sobbed on each other's shoulders. THey pulled themselves together, I got my aunt settled, and by late afternoon, I was on my way home. Of course, I had left my husband and son to fend for themselves for a few days. Anyone want to hazard a guess at the state of my house when I returned? Two men living without the boundaries set by Wife and Mom. Any guesses? You in the back? Right. Only worse. Hubby is a little lax in the "making Son clean up his toys/clothes/plates/insert anything here. Let alone cleaning up after himself. Geez.
But, my Mom is good, my aunt is there, I dug my kitchen out from under the Hubby/Son mess, and all is good again.
Knitting? Why yes, I did. (and I did a little stash enhancement too - stay tuned).
I finished the green ruffly scarf.

I made great progress on the cotton socks (before this week, I hadn't started the second sock)

I finished the first Tibetan Nun sock (I added a couple of sections of the yarn over, k2tog rows just for interest. I like it)

I made some great progress on my nephew's "comedy/tragedy theatre" hat. The grey is the hem that will be folded to the inside - it's knitted from Truffles, a cashmere/merino blend that is delicious against the forehead.

More tomorrow - must get back to work. I gather there were some snide comments being made about my absence last week. From the boss. Publicly. What an idiot. (I had a stronger term here, but in the interests of decency, changed it to idiot. My apologies to any idiots out there that take offense to being grouped with this person.

3 comments:

CatBookMom said...

I'm with you about the $#^@ boss with the sniping. Look up 'clueless' and you'll probably find his picture.

The knitting projects are looking good, especially since you were doing sock tiny-knitting under hospital stress. Glad to know that your mom is doing better. Your so-detailed hats are amazing; I can't quite imagine having that much concentration.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! LOVE those ruffled scarves.

Nice boss.

TracyKM said...

Love the KnitPick yarns!! I wish they had the Gloss in the Bare line. Or at least some hand painted colours.
Does that Linda's Craftique do MK stuff? I recognize the name...