Friday, October 06, 2006

now I've done it...

I've committed to finishing something. Our Guild has a UFO challenge - list your UFO's and see what you can finish by June. For every project finished, your name goes into the hat for a draw prize. (And a NICE draw prize, I must say! Needles, patterns, yarn, all wrapped up to discover!)
So I've committed to finishing my one mitt wonders:

Now, I have to find them, and try to remember the pattern for the Thrummed one. You see, I kinda made it up as I went along. I'm hoping I wrote it down, but knowing me as well as I do, the chances are not great!

What else, what else... Oh yeah, Tracy wanted to know about the machine knit slipper pattern. Tracy - it is a variantion of the Marlena pattern from the Daily Knitter - theirs is hand knit, but seriously, It's just a giant rectangle that you felt down after sewing it up into a slipper shape. Stupid easy.

Monday is our Canadian Thanksgiving - and in my world, that means a long weekend at the cottage with lots of turkey! We are heading up tomorrow morning (other plans for tonight), which gives me 2+ hours of knitting on the road. Plus the same on the way home Monday, and the hours I can squeeze in on the weekend itself between stuffing and cooking the turkey, eating the turkey, rolling away from the table... Plus the regular cottage chores - taking the boats out, taking one dock out, clearing out the gardens, etc. We're winterized, so we don't do a complete shutdown.

Next week will be spent trying to get things organized with respect to my mom's surgery - time off, kid care, all the other detritus of daily life. The fun never stops. I can't wait to hear my HR idiot's reaction to the time off I need.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're going up north too. Four humans, one dog, one cat, one cockatiel and one rabbit. Sunday is turkey, my mashed taters, Mom's stuffing, corn and Mom's pumpkin pie. She makes the best flaky pie crust in the world. Cam is making us Eggs Benjamin for breakie. Me and Anu's Mitts, but probably no fire in the fireplace - too warm!

Have a good one. Hopefully all the food will make my cold go away.
S.

Anonymous said...

I went to Home Depot to try to get the same kind of package of foam that you wrote about--Sof-Styles. I didn't know what department to look in, so asked customer service. They sent me to the rigid insulation area and I ended up buying about 8 sheets of 2x8 3/4 inch white styrofoam for about $10. But I really want what you have. So can you give me more info about what department area it's in and what purpose Home Depot sells it for? (Sorry, the picture is not enough for my search). Thank so much. Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario (pswinnerton@bootbox.net)

CatBookMom said...

Like Anonymous, I was intrigued by the foam pads from Home Depot. Please, share the deets?

Yesterday's page of the Knitting-Pattern-a-Day calendar was thrummed mittens. Very pretty, especially since the stitches look like little hearts; not ever happening here. But I'm curious; how do the thrummed bits work on the inside of the mitten? Don't they get pushed around and eventually get pulled out of the stitches?

If you'd like a recipe for the best cranberry relish ever (IMO), email me!

TracyKM said...

I checked out the slipper pattern, and of course it's one of those vague patterns, LOL. I don't even have an idea of what weight of yarn it is! I had just been wondering about using a strand of acrylic with the wool. The Fuzzy Feet I made from Classic Merino did not last on my carpeted floors.
But I get the general idea now, so I'll experiment some!