Tuesday, October 17, 2006

she's great. thanks for asking.

Mom is doing great. She came through the surgery fine, was in ICU overnight, and probably through today just in case, but they got the blood flow going well. She had a "small cadiac incident" during the surgery, but the anesthesiologist told us (my brother and I) that she was not concerned, Mom reacted well to treatment, and they don't think it was an infarction (i.e. heart attack). We'll know for sure later today. She was still intubated last night when we saw her around 5pm, but they removed the tube last night, ans when I called the hopital at 6am this morning, they even let me talk to her! She sounds great - things are good.

It was long day yesterday - we got to the hospital at about 9:30am, because Mom is absolutely paranoid about being late. I mean, really. I thought I was bad about getting places early - she's unbelievable. (Her surgery was scheduled for noon). They did recommend getting there for 10am to check in, so I guess we weren't remarkable early, but there was still a lot a waiting with her. So we get checked in, and then wait some more. Around 11:15, they call her in. SHe gets changed, we get asked all the same questions (are you pregnant? is my favourite - Mom's 74). But they asked this one of me the last time I was in hospital. For my C-section. My answer was "yes, but not for much longer, I hope!") Anyhoo, we met the anesthesiologist, who drugged Mom up pretty well, and got all the lines in. Then off she went, and it was back to the waiting room for me, adter a quick stop at the TIm Horton's in the lobby. Thank god for that - no cafeteria coffee - just lovely dark Tim's (large, black, double cupped, please), and a bagel. Here's the cool part. I come into the waiting room, and grab a set of the 50 or so that are there. I take out my book to read while munching the bagel (cream cheese and knitting don't mix well). There's a lady 2 seats over, also reading and having a bagel. We finish our bagels at pretty much the same time, put the books away, and BOTH OF US TAKE OUT KNITTING. We both looked up, laughed, and I commented that only knitters would sniff each other out in such a large room! Sue was making a fabulous wool/silk sweater, and we sat comparing patterns, and petting each other's yarn. We started talking yarn, and she was describing the yarn she was using as a small independent mill, couldn't remember the name - I threw out "Shelridge?" and nailed it! Turns out she's familiar with Wellington Fibres as well, one of my favourite locals! Talk about kindred spirits! Her husband was in for day surgery, and he came out fairly soon afterwards, so we parted. Of course, another 2 ladies saw me, and parked nearby and we talked knitting. They were lapsed knitters, but I'm pretty sure both of them are picking it up today.
So, how much can one knitter accomplish in a hospital waiting room during a day like that?
This much:



That would be the toe and most of the instep of a new sock - Tibetan Buddhist holy colours for my Buddhist nun SIL. Yup, really. I have a Buddhist nun SIL. THe bowling pattern hat for a nephew. I had the black hem part done, but did a little over half of the colour work - you can see the bowling balls, the upper part will be bowling pins. And a scarf. This scarf is a new yarn by ON LIne, and I have totally forgotten what it is called, but it is basically the same as Lion Brand's Ruffles, but the ON line is a two colur yarn. It is very cool to use, although it severely slows me down. YOu have to measure out about 4cm (or so, insert the needle into the mesh, and then knit. On the speed upside, the scarf is only 7 stitches wide, and the ruffles and soft, and full and luscious. Quick Christmas gifts, here we come! (two balls, 4mm needles, around $20 each).





Coming up... a 4 things meme...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a lovely post! Glad to hear Mom's fine. We knew she would be. And having the knitting club in there - could you not have asked for anything better other than your Mom doing well? That discussion with the co-knitter and talking about yarn would be just the ticket out of stress you needed.

LOVE that ruffled scarf. SO amazing a gift that would be. The recipient had better love it. I'm down with it myself!

CatBookMom said...

Knitters Unite! What a great way to help pass the time, not only knitting but knitting chat. And she knows Shelridge yarn - which you sent me and I love. The projects are great, and the ruffly yarn is really wonderful, color and results!

Gotta love the question about pregnancy. When I was getting pre-surgery tests for my hysterectomy, the hospital required a pee-in-a-cup pregnancy test. I wonder if they do that for little girls having their tonsils out?

Unknown said...

What very good news Sandra!

The purple scarf looks very cool!! I'm sure that I'll see something like it at the show.

TracyKM said...

There are Buddist NUNS?
The scarf is pretty neat. I could see "Crazy Aunt Purl" doing that one. Are you actually knitting? I'm a bit clueless on that one, LOL.
Love the medical term "small cardiac incident". I decided once while in the ER, hearing everything discussed with acronyms and initials, that they do that to keep the upper hand over patients, and perhaps to make it all sound a little less scary. Glad to hear it went well and you're promoting knitting in public!!