Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Thanksgiving, and some questions answered...

Thanksgiving at the cottage - is there anything better? The weather was fantastic - we didn't need jackets during the day, and in the evenings, jackets only, no mitts or hats or anything. (That does kind of break a knitter's heart, but the time will come for the woolies!) DS didn't need to wear the Alien Hat, but we did bring it, which garnered orders for a bowling theme (7 yr. old nephew), fish theme (BIL) - I'm working on that one now, and the comedy/tragedy masks for my actor/dancer 22 yr. old nephew. He's very cool, and never asks for anything, so this will be a joy to design and knit.
I did make a dent in the red and brown socks - I had one done, and the second toe and instep done - I'm now at the top ribbing, and once that's done, there's another addition to the gift box! I also did some work on Icarus - the rows are getting so long, it's an accomplishment to get 2-3 rows done in an evening. But It is beautiful. I'm glad I made it in the same alpaca as my Florence Scarf - Icarus is a gift, and since I already have a blue alpaca shawl, it will be easier to give away. Plus, my SIL will love it and take care of it.

This doesn't really show how absolutely beautiful the colours were on the weekend, but most of the pictures have identifiable pictures of the kids, and well, I don't post those. That's just me. This rock face is just back behind the cottage, and down the road a bit. I took the kids back there, and lay in the sun while they climbed. Seriously, I could have been wearing shorts, it was so hot! The boys were having a blast climbing up, finding a way down, climbing up, down, up, down, etc. Man, to be 7 years old again. The only worry these two had was whether or not I had brought snacks along, or did we have to go back to the cottage to eat.

Since I love getting comments, and want to continue getting them from my multitudes (okay, 4 or 5) of readers, I feel like I should answer some of the queries.

First - the Home Depot foam squares - they are sold as foam flooring for workshops. I guess to make it easier when standing for long periods. The store I bought mine in had them on an endcap - a large display at the end of an aisle. Home Depot buys these in bulk direct from the supplier*, and therefore merchandises them as promotional items. Meaning, they could be anywhere in the store, but check the flooring section first. What you are looking for are the foam flooring tiles. They are used in workshop applications.
(*this is some insider information, thanks to what I do for a living, and who I work for. Let's just say, if you need to cover your hard surface floors with something attractive, talk to me. Actually don't - we don't sell to the public. It's just a figure of speech).

CatBookMom wanted to know about thrums, as in the thrummed mittens. CBM, the nature of the thrum keeps it firmly in place. The thrum is simply a small piece of roving, or unspun wool. I make mine about 3 inches long. They get knit along with the regular stitch, creating a sort of duplicate stitch on the outside of the item (heart-shaped, just like you said), and on the inside, the two ends of the roving hang loose. Now, they aren't really loose, i.e., they won't work their way out unless you are an amazingly loose knitter. Once all the thrums are in place (I usually space them about 4 stitches apart, 4 rows apart, and stagger them), all the ends hanging inside form a kind of mass that you shove your hand into (in the case of mitts). After a few wearings, they form to your hand, and kind of felt into place, locking those babies into place for eternity (or, as in the case of my son, a few months) He's 7 - a tough age on mittens, if he even keeps them that long. I love them, and will make myself a pair one of these days - I have some incredible Fleece Artist roving that I am hoarding for myself, plus the alpaca roving that is mine, Mine, MINE! (can you tell I'm in love with it?) But first, I must finish the green and yellow ones for my nephew before he changes hockey team colours...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am honoured to report that I was there to witness said alpaca fleece roving purchasing!

The drive up this weekend was amazing,wasn't it, with all those gorgeous leaves? Everything is still pretty green here in the city, except for the huge oak next door that is shedding all its leaves on OUR lawn and never its owner's lawn.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the prompt and detailed answer regarding the floor tiles at Home Depot. I will go there tomorrow. Also, I'm going to run the idea about the incentive to finish unfinished projects to our knitting guild tomorrow. I think it might really get our work jump started. And if I think it's such a good idea, why did I order a "merging yarns mobius capelet" pattern from Patternworks last night? If I really thought completing unfinished projects was important, I wouldn't have added more projects to the list, would I? Thanks for your interesting blog.
Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario

CatBookMom said...

Marlyce: The "Merging Yarns Mobius Capelet" - is that Candace Eisner-Strick's pattern? The colors in that are really beautiful, and it will be a gorgeous item when you are done.

Chik, thanks for the info on the thrums and for the foam flooring things. After using them for my friend's first 'blocking party', I think she would really like to get some, too. The leaf peep is good, too; thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I hope all goes well on Monday!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who orders more items to make when we already have things that need finishing!