Tuesday, October 31, 2006

stash enhancement

So, while I was down at Mom’s last week, I decided to check out a yarn store in the area. (What? Wouldn’t you Google to find one if you were going to be a different area for a few days??) Mom’s neighbour came over for a while which gave me some time to take off and check out Linda’s Craftique in Port Credit. Very nice. A bit smaller than Needles and Knits, my regular LYS, and Linda stocks many of the same things, but I did find some things…

Hand maiden Sea Silk in a black/grey/brown colourway to die for. My LYS carries the Sea Silk, but she is sold out of it in this colourway (or she was the last time I was there).
And Bamboo yarn. I’ve heard about this, read about this, and so decided to try it. I haven’t swatched it yet – it seems VERY slippery, and I haven’t decided if it is going to be hand knitted, or run though the machine. I’m thinking slinky, slippery skinny scarves for Christmas presents…

Yesterday, I got home and saw a nice big box waiting for me! I had ordered some stuff from Knit Picks. I know, I know, internet shopping while on an emotional roller coaster is not the best idea, but what the hell. I’ve been wanting the S’mores sock yarn, and the Fly Fishing sock yarn (Hubby is a fly fisherman, I mean really! It was calling to me!) Plus, I’ve heard such good things about the Gloss wool/silk sock yarn, so I had to get some of it to try, and then I’ve been wanting to make a blanket of sorts from Mason Dixon – either mitred squares or log cabin, and their mix and match kit in the Storm colourway seemed perfect. I’m leaning towards mitred squares. Opinions?
Anyways, it seems I ordered more stuff than I remembered (that would be the emotional roller coaster effect, I think).
Gloss (Merino/silk) sock yarn - soft, sproingy, yummy! Concord Grape for me(I know, purple? NOT my usual colour!) and Dusk for hubby (maybe, this stuff is hard to give up...)

Sock yarn - the aforementioned S'mores (left), and Flyfishing (top), and the "oh yeah, I also ordered" Yukon (right) and Cape Cod (middle). Oops. But I'm not sending it back!

And the Storm "mix and match" kit. A little beige-er than I was expecting, but still, I have enough stash stuff to fill this out into a nice blanket-y type thing. If I ever get around to it.

Yeah - internet shopping while emotional - great for the soul, not so good for the bank account...

Oh, and boss update? Can we say Childish? He's now giving me the silent treatment. Remember back in school, when the popular chicks would OBVIOUSLY shun someone by turning their backs? Yeah, that's what I'm getting. I laughed out loud when he did it. Good thing he doesn't do my employee review...

tomorrow - Halloween pictures! We love Halloween at our place - lots of pumpkins! lots of decorations! Lots of candy!

4 comments:

CatBookMom said...

Such lovely yarny goodies! I've sent you an email about the Yukon sock yarn. I almost ordered some of the Gloss - and a few other thises and thats - yesterday, but put them away for another buying spree.

The Mix & Match kit looks really pretty, and I'll be waiting to see how this comes out when you get a Round Tuit.

Anonymous said...

I want your new shipment, too!!!!

Love your boss!!!!

Anonymous said...

I want your new shipment, too!!!!

Love your boss!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice haul! My 'First's' socks were knit in Yukon - lovely stuff, too bad I missed getting a 'sock in progress' picture of it when we crossed the BC/Yukon border earlier this year. Ah well... would love to see how your Yukons turn out, hope you'll post a photo!