Tuesday, March 22, 2011

round trip to Kingston...

We spent part of the weekend in Kingston, Ontario, home of Queen's University.
My husband and father in law are both Queen's grads, and some very good friends of our (whom he met while at Queen's) were going to be in the city, as one of their kids was getting his Engineering Iron Ring. (This is a very big thing for an engineer).
Since it was the end of March Break, we decided to make it a family trip, and surprise our friends. (we told them we may come down, then said nothing more until we were actually at the hotel and ran into them!)
It was the best way to end March Break - we took the boy around the campus, and at 12 years of age,he has decided that he will continue the tradition and go to Queen's. I haven't even had the chance to show him my alma mater, McMaster University!
We also get "Parents of the Year Award" for taking him to one of the boy's houses in the student ghetto - seriously, this is not a place any child or mother for that fact, should see. I had forgotten how university males live! An introducing the boy to the game of Beer Pong will really endear us to his teacher when she asks what everyone did for March Break... (No, he didn't drink the beer - we did that for him... but he did actually sink the winning shot three times! 12 years old and a legend already...)

But one of the best things about a round trip to Kingston from home is the knitting time it affords. When we left, the boy's socks looked like this:



As of Monday morning, they looked like this:

That's another complete sock and one afterthought heel almost complete and another to do - these should be finished up shortly (due to advance blog writing and delayed posting - probably done by the time you read this!)

We need to take more road trips...

6 comments:

Needles said...

yaaaaaaaaay!

TracyKM said...

Yay! for Queen's! I knew instantly when I saw it too. I know it's changed a ton since I was there last (all the crabapple trees are gone!), but we still hope our kids will go too!

Brendaknits said...

Our oldest son is a Civil Engineer and the Iron Ring ceremony was - to me - more moving than the graduation. I believe the iron comes from a bridge in Quebec that collapsed and killed some people.

Saren Johnson said...

Ahhh frat life. He'll be ready for it in six years. The question is, will you be?

Acorn to Oak said...

Sounds like a good weekend. Those socks look great and the way you're knitting them is interesting. I think I've only seen that method one other time on a blog. I've never seen anyone do that in person. I'm fascinated and I think I'll head on over to Google and see if I can figure it out. :-)

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I know a ton of people whom have gone to Queens too! A lot of Montrealers end up there too.

I haven't done an after thought heel yet.. easy?