Tuesday, March 15, 2011

mitten blank - done!

I'm at the cottage for a few days (unfortunately, leaving today...) and got a shot of the almost-finished Wellington mittens in the sun, on the deck.
Almost finished, because I forgot my Knit Kit at home and don't have a darning needle here, so there are ends to sew in, and also almost finished, because these need a good soak to smooth out the yarn - when knitting with kinked wool, it makes the resulting fabric have an almost boucle type look. I know these will grow, so I intentionally made them a little short, both in the body and the thumb.
I'm really looking forward to wearing these - the mohair-wool blend is strong, lustrous and wonderfully soft feeling - these will probably be my go-to spring mittens.
As you can see, there is also enough left in the blank to make a headband to match - I plan on lining it with a squishy soft cotton for comfort. Details to come...
Speaking of the cottage - this was the "meeting of the minds" that occurred on the lake out front of our place yesterday. I was out with the kids, then some more kids came over, their parents followed, beer was procured, and we spent about 3 hours out there, chatting, getting caught up and making plans for Easter. If the weather stays like this, Easter may see us in the same spot, only IN the lake - it was that mild...

6 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Cute mittens! I love the colors! Are you all standing ON the lake? It's still frozen? Yikes! It looks really cold there still! Those mittens must be coming in very handy! :-)

Needles said...

My first thought was ice fishing!

Saren Johnson said...

Two hours north of here, they got a foot of snow! (I'm greatful, we only got rain.) It's a pretty crazy spring.

Nice job on the mittens.

TracyKM said...

Makes me wish we were at my parents in Bancroft this week after all! Perhaps it's not too late to still go....
(Beautiful mitts!)

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Those are pretty neat! I've never actually seen a mitten blank before, and I like the way they knit up!

AlisonH said...

Wow. Real cold for real people. I do miss it sometimes.

Love the mitts!