Monday, March 28, 2011

bunnies and birds

I live in the suburbs. It may not be a totally urban area, but it's houses, pretty close together withe retail, industrial and commercial areas nearby. I would not in any sense of the word, consider it rural, yet we get flashes of the wildlife that was here first.

Birds walking just outside my door...

Birds at our birdfeeder - they are quite used to us now and don't fly away nearly as much when we come to the door...


Bunnies hopping around near our front door...




And Bunny that likes to sit outside the door and just stare at us when we come or go.

Seriously - he (she?) doesn't move, even when we talk to him (her?), or move around. For four days straight now, he (she?) has been in the same place, right outside the door, near the hedges. Not sure what he's (she's?) waiting for, but it is kind of cute.

6 comments:

Needles said...

He is trying to be still so predators will not see him. Its a protective mechanism. He may be living in and enjoying the fruits of your hedge.

Anonymous said...

I know of a house where there is a large low cedar hedge. In summer, there is a wild rabbit and a black-and-white domestic rabbit who live there together. Don't know where the tuxedo rabbit came from - I guess he was a pet at one time.

TracyKM said...

We had a bunny like that at our last house. Kids loved it! It ate my rosebush, so I wasn't too thrilled though.

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

When we lived in Detroit we had a bunny who lived under a hedge in our front yard. I named him Thumper. We also has a opossum who lived in a treen in our back yard for awhile.

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot. Whenever I open the front door, there is this big ball of yarn sitting under the tree. It doesn't say anything. It just winks at me now and then. For some reason, my credit card is really interested in it, always tries to jump out of my wallet if I'm not careful. I get really scared when I see this yarn. It is a really huge predator itself. Does anyone else have this problem?

Saren Johnson said...

Easter is right around the corner, might be the him.... (or her)