Monday, March 14, 2011

For My Mom

My Mom turns 79 this month. She's been a widow for 16 years, and in that time, she and I have become closer (I was always a daddy's girl). She taught me to knit when I was about 8, and I knit on and off up until about 7-8 years ago when something in my brain clicked and I became not just someone who knows how to knit, but a KNITTER. (with the required stash, much to my husband's chagrin - I didn't come with all this wool!) I've been able to return the favour, and get my Mom back into knitting as well - she cranks out socks and hats for the grand kids and herself and for charity.

I talked about what I'm making for her birthday (Koigu and Cashmere, mmmmmm...) and I finally finished them, with time to spare. (How strange is that?)
Meet the Cashmere/Koigu Flamingo Fingerless Mittens. They do match (now, but I wanted to show the difference a little steam makes to colourwork.) The mitt on the right is just off the needles. The one on the left has been steamed with my steam iron (with a towel underneath). I steamed it, then while still damp, patted it down, stretching it a touch to even out the stitches. The birds are more even, and the floats on the inside are more even and sit better. The ribbing sits straighter and the thumb is a better fit.

I'm glad my Mom got to me before I made these full mitts - I think the changes I made to the pattern did not translate well to a full mitt, but they are perfect for this incarnation. They're exactly what my Mom would wear - pink and green - they'll match her Florida house perfectly.

I may just have to go down this spring to see them in action...

6 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

You are completely amazing. Nice job on the mitts.

Unknown said...

They look awesome & I love seen examples of the miracle of some simple blocking!

Acorn to Oak said...

So cute! I bet she's going to love them! :-)

Brendaknits said...

They look lovely. You're right, steaming makes a world of difference.

Sel and Poivre said...

The difference post blocking really is amazing. How do the thumbs work on the reverse? Do the flamingos go over the palm as well?

Needles said...

These turned out so well. Beautiful colours.