Tuesday, August 22, 2006

what I did on my summer vacation

Well, I'm back. And to be honest, I'm not really happy about it. I'd much rather still be at the cottage, sleeping much later than I am, slopping Kahlua into my morning coffee, and generally enjoying the day with my family. This sitting in an office stuff is seriously lame. But I'm only here for this week, then I have another week off (one of those "take it now, or lose it" weeks). Since Hubby is not off, Son and I are going to do the "tourist in Toronto" thing for a few days - The ROM and the CN Tower on one day, and we'll even take the subway as my son really wants to ride a train. (One thing about living in the suburbs - you take your car everywhere). Then there's some minigolf/batting cage stuff to do, and some back to school shopping - and maybe some yarn shopping for me, you never know... Actually, depending on the weather, we may just head up to the cottage later in the week to extend the Labour Day weekend a little.
As far as vacation knitting - I got a fair bit done. Mostly small stuff that would fit in my lap easily and not overheat me, and was easy to cart down to the beach and up to the deck. Also, simple stuff I could drop a moment's notice if someone wanted a game of horseshoes, or a swim, or a boat cruise or a fly... yes, a fly. Our neighbour has a float plane, so we took Son up for a ride - great fun! It's fascinating to see the landscape from that perspective.
Right, back to knitting -


Rainbow striped socks, yarn from my LYS. I have to say, this colourway does NOTHING for me. I think its the expanses of cream between the colours that turns me off. Whatever - these are for a SIL who will love them, so that makes it alright. I'm about an inch away from the heel on the first sock.



Green regia striped socks - yarn from Elann. These I like alot. The colours are strong on their own, but together they are nicely muted, and these will be a perfect Christmas gift for a dear friend who was the best man at our wedding. One sock done, toe of the second done.



Chenille scarf in a feather and fan pattern. I dyed this rayon chenille myself, using RIT dye - I used a grey and brown, and dipped the chenille in for a very short period of time to keep the colours light. I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's a rayon chenille, so the sheen of the rayon comes through and gives the colours a pewter and bronze sheen. Originally, I though of making a rectangular shawl of this, but after starting and ripping and starting and ripping and starting and ripping yet again, I determined that there wouldn't be enough for a shawl, so scarves it is. I have two people in mind for this - a SIL and a dear friend. I'm pretty sure there is enough for two scarves of a decent length.



Icarus returns! I've got 4 repeats done of the ladder like lace pattern. THe pattern calls for 5 repeats before starting the bottom feathery charts, but I may do 6 or even 7 repeats. I certainly have enough of the alpaca, and I like a shawl to have some size to it. Once I get through 5 repeats, I'll stretch it out and decide then.



A log cabin test square. Originally, my thought was to use up all the odd balls of Briggs and Little 2 ply I had lying around (there's alot of it!), and make a blanket of many colours. But after doing this test square, I think I will make the squares out of fewer colours that are more complimentary. I have 4 different shades of green, some reds and blacks, some blues and greys, so I should be able to grab a few colours to make the squares. The entire blanket in multi-colours doesn't do it for me. I am lovin' the whole log cabin pattern though! Thanks Kay and Ann!
There are also two other socks - a red/brown striped one for my nephew for Christmas, and a cotton/elastic one (plain colours this time) that I think I will give my son's daycare provider for Christmas. I just forgot to take pictures of them. Both of them are around the heel of the first sock.
So, a productive week, I think! As much as I love lazy holidays, I do seem to have a need to use my time well. And I consider knitting to be time well spent. I knit while sitting on the beach, while lazing on the deck, having a drink with friends, while watching TV or movies at night.
Now, off to get caught up on other people's blogs! (Oh, and maybe a little work thrown in so I can continue to buy yarn...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! We missed your blogging. I think the chenille as a feather-and-fan scarf is an excellent idea and the best use for it, I agree. The striped socks that do nothing for you are actually quite nice.

Maybe you and your little guy can take in the CNE next week? You know, the Food Building?

Anonymous said...

Rayon chenille? OMG, someone who actually *chooses* to knit with that? My first return-to-knitting project (after 20+ years) was to make a rayon chenille scarf for DH for Christmas. I just know that I've gotten a lot of time off in Purgatory for having gone through that truly hellish ordeal. I frogged it 5 or 6 times because of the worming, and he finally got it for Valentine's Day, crocheted!

Glad you had such a great time at the cabin, and it sounds like a fun trip around Toronto with your DS. Don't they have a fundraiser with *running* up the CN Tower stairs?

Sandra said...

CatBook - there is no way I am running up the stairs at the CN tower! Although I have friends that have done it...
Surprisingly, this chenille is behaving beautifully - I was leery at first, but I got a huge cone of it for $10 (what you see here is about 1/3 of it) So if it didn't work, no harm, no foul! BUt it is working, no worming!

Anonymous said...

well, my dear, glad that you are back!
your "activities" at the cottage sound just wonderful!
love the socks.
for that week off with your son you need to take him to the Toronto Islands. they are a perfect day-outing.
take the subway down to union stn.,then walk to the dock and take the ferry over to Centre Island. among other things there is a really nice, somewhat old-fashioned amusement village. you can rent bikes and explore, lots to do there.
ciao...
helga

Anonymous said...

I really like that green regia :)