Friday, August 04, 2006

Like moths to a flame...

Bad drivers seem to be attracted to me. What's up with that? Do I have a bumper sticker on my car that says "Please, cut me off"?? Then there's the jerk this morning - behind me at a green light where I was turning right. I was stopped, since there was a pedestrian crossing the road, and well, I'm not fond of running down pedestrians. The doofus behind me is leaning, LEANING on his horn, shaking his other fist at me! WTF?? Someone needs to reduce their caffeine intake in the morning, I think. I was really ready for him to follow me and start in on me face to face. That would have been fun. But the coward screamed off once I had made my turn, leaving half his tires behind on the road. Nice. Happy Friday to you too, jerk!

But it is Friday, and tonight starts a long weekend here in Ontario. The first Monday of August is Simcoe Day, honouring John Graves Simcoe, the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada.
John Graves Simcoe was more than just a colonial governor -- he abolished slavery, created Yonge Street, and even inspired the agricultural fair tradition that would give rise to the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. Read here if you are interested in more about Mr. Simcoe. Whatever the reason - it's a long weekend for us! That means, heading up to the cottage tonight. Where there will be nine of us. And the neighbours have 12 people up. (We're having a party on Saturday - we've got a huge rolled prime rib to do over open flame on Hubby's rotisserie) Oh yeah, thanks to Wednesday's massive thunderstorms, there is no power. And they don't expect it before Sunday. We are optimistic that it may come back before then, but, probably not. So open flame cooking and lots of ice in the coolers is our future.

Lots of knitting is being planned as well. I'm hoping to finish the FIL socks:

and I've started another golf sock:

Caribbean Surf Colourway - yummy...
Plus, Icarus is calling me. The smoking hot heatwave has abated a bit, so I can pick up alpaca again...
Happy Simcoe Day all!

6 comments:

bettyboopta2 said...

Really like the Carrib. colourway; who makes that one? Oh, & if Jenn gets the veggie ques. recipe, can I have a copy too please?? Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

In my household, only I am allowed to drive if beau is in car with me because A) It's my car and B)If he drove, I'd die in a flaming wreck

Sandra said...

On cottage drives - DH drives - that's 2.5 hours of knittin' time for me!
Boop - the Caribbean Surf is Elann Esprit cotton elatic. Nice stuff!
I'll see what I can do about the quesadillas...

Anonymous said...

hey sandra,
either too much, or not enough...caffeine i mean.
that was a great evening you organized with the Harlot on tuesday last!
the icing on the cake: all that cool,cool bottled water!
well done and thank you.
have a good weekend!
helga

Diane said...

I love the Carribean Surf yarn. Such a cool color. Can't wait to see the finished socks.

Samantha said...

For some reason my back bumper attracts men who are too impatient and think that by riding my bumper they will get to their destination much much quicker. Very seldom do I get a female bumper-rider. Hmmmm.

Most of the time my hubby does the driving, especially for long trips. (Long trips = Knitting time) Buuut, he behaves because I am constantly saying "watch out for that jerk!" and "heeey slow down there buddy ..."

Your socks look great! :)