Monday, August 28, 2006

and she thought I wouldn't notice!

So last week, I'm reading Stephanie's blog, as I do most days. I read a few dozen blogs, and always seem to add a few new ones as I come across them.
So there I was, checking on the progress of the book and the gansey, and I see them. A ton of stitch markers on the gansey. Stitch markers that I made for her. (I especially like the red ones with the Celtic knot beads.) It's very cool to unexpectedly come across your work in use. Just ask Franklin. He saw me wearing his "Venus de Knitting" shirt on Steph's blog, and he, I quote, "plotzed!" I now know the feeling!
Knowing the history of this gansey (2 years of washing fleece, spinning and plying yarn, and now finally designing and knitting, I feel like a part of an heirloom. "Yup, my markers kept that pattern on track. Those gussets wouldn't have had a chance without the red Celtic knot markers." Cool. When I commented to Stephanie, she wrote back wondering if I would notice!
I've also finished a pair of socks. I like them so much, I think I should make another pair EXACTLY the same...

OK, here is where there should be a picture of one sage green sock with navy stripes on the foot and the leg, and one red and brown striped sock. I said there should be a picture, but Blogger (or this computer) is not being my friend right now, so you'll just have to take my word for it. I've got one green sock and one red/brown sock done. Really.

The green one is the same cotton/elastic stretch yarn from Elann - Esprit - that I've been making the shortie golf socks out of, except, obviously, it's not patterned. I had some navy blue left over from another pair, so I thought I would break up the sage green colour a bit with stripes. I really like the look. These are destined for my son's daycare provider - an amazing woman who loves to walk, so I thought sproingy cotton socks would be perfect. (along with wine. all daycare providers need wine.)
The red/brown stripe is for my nephew. He's 24, a musician/artist/dancer who lives in Montreal and gets hand knit socks every year. (and wine. funny how most people around me like wine.)

Oh, and about the stitch markers - there have been some people asking about them. They are hand made by me, and available at Needles and Knits - 905-713-2066 - 15040 Yonge Street, Aurora, ON L4G 1M4, my LYS, and where my guild meets. Go see Tove, if you're interested. I promise, you'll walk out with way more than just stitch markers...

Yup, there should be a picture here as well of some of my stitch markers. See above rant for the reasons why there isn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you those stitch markers would make you rich and famous!
I can attest, to all those reading, that they are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Did you read all the comments in Steph's blog, saying how beautiful your stitch markers were? Way to go!