Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Randomness

Unabashedly stealing from Mamacate, I've just got some random thoughts today...

Why, since I have never watched "Prison Break" am I having strange dreams about this show? Is it because they are showing commercials for it EVERY 12 SECONDS??? Enough already! I know they're on the run! I know they won't be caught for at least this season. I don't want them intruding on my sleep!

Spinning. I once mentioned to LuckyCanuck that I was thinking of taking up spinning. It seemed like the natural extension of my knitting obsession. I mulled it over - do I buy a spindle, make one, what type of roving to start with, oh wait, I have some Fleece Artist roving in the stash that I use for thrummed mitts... Then another friend, CatBookMom, commented when I started this blog, that she was looking forward to reading about a knitter that knits, and doesn't give it up for spinning. That got me to thinking - I've mentioned before how limited my leisure time is - full time work outside and inside the home - so why would I give up my precious knitting time to spin? It's not like I need the yarn. It's not like I need a another craft to take up space in my house. (Aside from knitting, I have two sewing machines, an extensive collection of cross stitch patterns and supplies, and 3 or 4 quilts in assorted stages of completion) I also love to cook, have been known to make soap and candles, paint (not very well), draw pen and ink (a little better), and will try any crafty thing at least once. Guess what? spinning is not happening. At least not for the foreseeable future. And all those other crafty things? Dust collectors for the moment. Knitting is my main passion after my family, and has been for the past few years. Hopefully, it will be for a few more - I am lovin' it!

Sock burnout. It's not happening yet, but I'm afraid it may happen soon. I hope not. I adore knitting socks. I have 5 pairs on the go at the moment - the rainbow ones, the green regia, Socks that Rock for myself and these two:



These are the two I started last week but forgot to photograph. The red and brown stripe is for my 24 year old nephew, and the green cotton stretch is probably going to my son's sitter. This woman deserves so much for being such a wonderful influence on my son, socks are the least I can do. Most of the socks I knit are for gifts - I'm stockpiling (sockpiling??) for Christmas. I'd really like to NOT burnout on socks until at least January, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

In light of Stephanie's posts regarding Mr., sorry SIR Washie, it got me to thinking about the naming of inanimate objects. I have a close friend whose family has named every car and boat they have owned. Every one. We're talking about 4 or 5 boats and at least a dozen cars since I've known them. (The families have been friends since I was a child). And I don't think this is strange. And yet I don't name my vehicles. My family does however, name the Chistmas turkey. This I do find strange, but we still do it every year. My husband finds it incredibly odd that we refer to the bird as "Phil" or "Herb" each year, but what can I say? As kids my brother and I fought over who got to name the bird. Odd? You betcha. But we still do it.

Why, when I type, do I end up capitalizing the H after every capital T I type? Why can't I just type "The" or "This"? Why do I always type "THe" or "THis"? Why can't I release the shift key quicker? This bugs me (and yes, I did have to go back and correct the h in "This".)

Where did the summer go? I've mentioned before that I get up unreasonably early during the week - like in the 5:30am range. I do this to get some quiet time with the newspaper and coffee before the mayhem that is my household starts. I also use this time to take pictures of my knitting, usually. (Since the blog is still somewhat secret, it's easier than explaining to family why I am taking all these knitting pictures). It's still dark now! I swear it was just yesterday when I could take pictures at 6:00am and not need my flash. Now I have to turn on the outside light just to find my newspaper. And, as a side note? Toronto Star delivery guy? If you're reading this, I have a pretty big porch target - try to hit it once in a while, instead of the garden. thanks.

OK, I've just re-read this post. I'm a little bitchy this morning, aren't I? I'd best go check the coffee. I'm thinking someone brewed decaf - there's a mystery person that does this every now and then here at work. One of these days, we're going to catch them, and beat them with a damp coffee filter. Just sayin'.

And just for fun... (by the way - I rarely if ever wear bright yellow - the rest is pretty close, although, I'm not sure I'm good at lots of things. Jack of all trades, master of none, is closer to the truth)

Your Birthdate: November 23

You're not good at any one thing, and that's the problem.
You're good at so much - you never know what to do.
Change is in your blood, and you don't stick to much for long.
You are destined for a life of travel and fun.

Your strength: Your likeability

Your weakness: You never feel satisfied

Your power color: Bright yellow

Your power symbol: Asterisk

Your power month: May

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sock burnout? Oh dear! I myself haven't even reached sock burn in. After the Christmas sock rush, take a big sock break and you'll be that more excited to start some again.