Tuesday, May 01, 2012

What a rush!

Yesterday was a bucket list kind of day.
My son and I got to ride Leviathan - Canada's newest, tallest and biggest roller coaster at Canada's Wonderland, I won a contest on CityTV's Breakfast Television, and we get to ride it before the park opens. The weekend before was charity rides, and press and media. The bizarre thing is I have no idea why I even entered the contest! I'm not a big roller coaster person - I used to be, but I guess that's one of the signs of aging - lack of interest in roller coasters...
Whatever the reason, I entered, I won, and I get to take a guest with me. Of course, the only choice was my son - what better way to increase the "cool Mom cred" than take him on this?
His friends are envious, while mine are kind of shaking their heads at my folly. The best comment  got was from my brother. He simply said, "Hope you don't barf. We'll be watching the LiveEye to see if you do".
We didn't barf - actually no one did (thankfully - we were sitting at the very back, and if any one had, I think it might have been very ugly...

This is one VERY big coaster - 93.3 metres (over 300 feet) high, and it takes almost a minute of the 3 minute ride just to get to the top of the first hill. Then it's an 80 degree angle of descent down - that's about as vertical as the laws of physics would let us go! (and 10 degrees or not, it FELT like we were going STRAIGHT down...)

If you look at the above picture - those small black loop-de-loops in the trees? That's the Dragon Fyre roller coaster. I'm old enough to remember when it was the biggest thing at Wonderland! Now, it's dwarfed by Leviathan!
Would I ride it again? Yes. Will I? Probably not - once the park opens to the public, the lines for this ride will be astronomical, and I rarely get out to Wonderland, anyway. I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it when I could!

6 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Congrats on your contest win. You are one brave woman!

Anonymous said...

Glad you survived!!!
Nancy

Needles said...

Just looking at the pictures makes my tummy go funny. I'm strictly a flatlander, I think.

Saren Johnson said...

You are the kewlest Mommy EVAH!!!!

Anonymous said...

I recorded the show and still haven't taken the time to watch, but I will this weekend.

After working at Wonderland three summers in a row (1984, 1985 and 1986), I vowed I would never, ever go there again as long as I lived and so far, I haven't. But the Dragon Fyre. I forgot about that one. When I worked there, the trees they planted were all new and small and everything was so - NEW. There were no houses around there, it was just farmland. So 1980s!!!

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I fear roller coasters. I love rides that spin but not that go up and down or upside down. Lucky you for winning!!