Monday, May 07, 2012

replacement sock

My FIL is fond of the hand knit sock. Very fond. He's especially fond of the luxuriously soft fibres like alpaca and cashmere. And not only does he love them, my MIL lavishes care on them, hand washing them, and even darning them when they get a little thin. Needless to say, he's one of my favourite people to knit socks for.

I had a pair of alpaca socks ready to go - just needing the heels, and I thought they would be perfect for Father's Day next month.

Then something came up. A friend and co-worker did something so amazing for me, and for a 12 year old friend of mine that is dealing with issues far more serious than anyone, 12 years old or not, needs to be dealing with. He made a tough situation so much better for her, and for that, nothing says thank you better than something hand crafted. (He can buy anything he wants, but is the type of guy that appreciates hand work).

So I put the heels in for a size 13 foot (thankfully, I had made the blanks quite long...), and started something new for the FIL. TurtlePurl's Pillow Talk sock yarn in the Beach Vacation colourway. 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon. Very yummy, and feels wonderful.

Bought recently at the Knitter's Frolic, and hopefully will be ready for Father's Day. My FIL is very understanding, and if they are late, the story of why he's getting the replacements will smooth it over.

4 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

Socks are funny that way, they will tell you who they belong to.

Unknown said...

You're awesome <3

I love how the Pillow Talk colours are swirling - my fave patterning on a sock!!

Brendaknits said...

Cashmere and merino. That will feel so-o-o-o good o the feet.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Wow, that is so nice of you! I am sure your FIL will understand.