Wednesday, April 11, 2012

crazy kids...

***Note to Chris S. of the comments - the pattern for my gathered neck tunic is New Look 6179. I've had it for a while, so I'm not sure if it's still available.***

We were at the cottage on the weekend - the long Easter weekend, and it was glorious! The weather was perfect - sunny, warmish, and just beautiful. We got all the leaves raked ( between us and the neighbours, and all the kids, we got ALL the leaves raked - way more than we usually do. I love that the kids are old enough to appreciate that we mean it when we say we need them to help.) Not to worry, they had plenty of time to enjoy themselves, and pursue leisure activities. We had out annual scavenger hunt for the kids on the bay - seven kids this year - and my husband set a challenging course for them that necessitated the use of compasses and teamwork. It took them over an hour to complete, and they loved it! (they love it every year, but did say this year's was the best). While they are off hunting, the parents and other adults from around the bay all hang out on our deck and enjoy multitudes of food and cocktails. It's really a good day all around.
Of course, it wouldn't be Easter without the kid's annual lake dunk. As long as the ice is gone, and the sun is shining, they seem to think swimming is the order of the day. They have dunked every Easter and Thanksgiving for the past three years.
This year, my son and M from next door were the first two to brave the 8°C (That's 48°F!) water:
(you can tell she's a dancer and he is not...)


Most of the rest soon followed,  until there was just my nephew left. (He's the one huddled in his shirt - my son has already changed back into jeans). I love how H is marching towards the end of the dock, determined not to be last!
Nephew wasn't sure he was going to, but peer pressure in this case can really get a guy (especially when it's coming from girls...), so in he went!

There was also knitting - I have found my new favourite scarf pattern. Easy and fun to knit, and beautiful to look at. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

I'd die in that water. But then I'm not a kid anymore.

TracyKM said...

Crazy! We were in Bancroft, and the kids had tons of fun outside all day on Sunday, but they stayed out of the pond!

Acorn to Oak said...

Brrrr...that water is cold! Looks like a pretty day though.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

The cottage looks like a lot of fun!