Wednesday, March 18, 2009

yes, I still knit...

But it does seem to be about the beads, lately, doesn't it? I've made up a few memory wire bracelets lately. Memory wire is that stuff that looks like a Slinky - coils and coils of wire that bounces back into the coil shape, no matter what you do. (On a side note - I love how all beading magazines and "experts" say you need special wire cutters for this stuff, since it's harder than regular wire. Yeah, like I'm going to pay $30 for special "memory wire cutters". I'm lucky enough to have tools around the house, and the wire cutters in our workroom can handle this without a problem, but if you don't have a tool collector handy (like my husband), go to a hardware store - they are way cheaper there compared to a jewellery or craft store.)

But the bracelets. I started by using up some of the stone beads and other bits and pieces I had hanging around. I gathered them into like colours and then randomly went at it. I kind of like them - the jury's still out on the shell dagger ones, but hey, someone may like them.

And to answer Marie yesterday - the Swarovski crystal bracelets take a little over an hour each - much better than my original time of about 4 hours for one!
And I promise - knitting update coming soon...

3 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

Wow!! I've been looking at the memory wire.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh,purdy! Good to know about the memory wire as well.

Carol said...

When I cleaned out my dad's house after he passed on...I kepot most of the tools. Including wire cutters. They have been very useful. Now to get some beads and memory wire.....