Monday, March 16, 2009

the things I do...

I'm not that fond of sewing up my knitting. Don't get me wrong - I can do it, and actually, I'm quite proud of my mattress stitching, it's just not one of my favourite things to do. Notice the high percentage of top down raglan sweaters that don't require much in the way of seaming.

So explain to me why this is happening... Yes, it's a pink child's dress, done in multiple pieces (including pockets!). I have a 10 year old son, so it's obviously not for me.

This is the same dress that I helped a co-worker block, and I gave her a lesson on mattress stitching. She did fine on the straight side seams, but brought it back to work, almost in tears, having had a terrible time with the slanted seam of the sleeves, and the set in armhole. She promised her daughter that she could wear it for Passover, and I gather one of the grandmothers is a knitter, and is waiting to "inspect" the work. What could I say? Especially after she offered to pay me in wine AND wool! So I've started seaming it, and I have to say, I still hate setting in sleeves, although, they look pretty good. I'll give it a proper wet blocking as well, and re-weave in some of the ends for her. For a fairly new knitter, she did a pretty good job, considering she had no idea what she was doing at times. And if this will keep her going, then it's the least I can do.
But I still prefer raglan sleeves...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ew, set-in sleeves. I agree.

deirdre said...

I'm with you - hate the sewing, and set-in sleeves are not the most fun.

But wine... and wool... you were almost obligated

Needles said...

You have a good heart.

Anonymous said...

You are a good lady!

Liz said...

can I be your friend in tears as well....what kind of wine do you like, LOL....I have two baby sweaters in pieces that I knit early on, before discovering top-down raglan patterns. I may never finish them, unless I have an emergent need for a gift.

Carol said...

What wine was used as bribery? Was it good? I'm always up for wine tasting! Have you introduced her to the wonders of knitting in the round yet? Methinks she could find life a lot easier....

And you are a friend indeed. I am still seaming mitred squares. The biggest problem is that I can only sew up 4 or so before my shoulders start to complain.

Philosophical Karen said...

I am just knitting my first sweater and it is a top-down raglan style. Seaming is not something I'm any good at. I hope you get some very nice yarn and wine out of this.